MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-18-2001, 10:05 PM   #1
jonnyk
Being stroked is great

Post 3G alternator - What does a stator wire do?

Mine fried today, I think the heat shrink tubing I used rubbed off when I was playing with wires. Anyways, the battery light came on, and I'm wondering what this wire does. Does it activate/deactivate the alternator? The voltmeter on the dash was reading like it should and the battery didn't die in the 10 miles I had to make it home. It's an easy fix and luckily I don't think it took any other wires out but I'll check tomorrow. Anyways, in plain English please (no webpages), what does it do?

------------------
'91 LX Hatch, 17 ROH ZR6's, lowered, 3.73's, offroad H pipe, SN Cobra cat-back, ASP pullies, 14° timing, C&L 76mm MAF, 170A 3G, B&M Ripper on a T5
1991 LX Hatch 5.0L
jonnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 09:32 AM   #2
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

dont quote me but when i put mine in i figured it went to the built in regualtor..i think it pretty much sensers how much power is being drawn(ie elec fan ,lights..etc) and turns up the juice to compresate for it

------------------
1987 black notch(ex 4 banger)
DSS 306 w/ main support...Elderbrock 6028 heads..gt-40 intake..24# injectors...70 mm tb..77 pro-m...accel 300+..mac full legnth..tremec w/ pro5oh...full MAC exhaust,off road h-pipe,long tubes, catback...ron davis radiator..subframes, control arms...CFDF II..o yea holley FPR sucks..dont buy one..
AIM=onesillynotch
LX XLR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 01:20 PM   #3
jonnyk
Being stroked is great

OK that makes sense. The wire I got mentioned regulator in the part description (had to get a new plug to replace the original). Wonder why they didn't make that an internal connection?

------------------
'91 LX Hatch, 17 ROH ZR6's, lowered, 3.73's, offroad H pipe, SN Cobra cat-back, ASP pullies, 14° timing, C&L 76mm MAF, 170A 3G, B&M Ripper on a T5
1991 LX Hatch 5.0L
jonnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 04:06 PM   #4
86GT
Sniffed too much n20

When I first installed my 3G in the 86, I didn't hook up the stator wire. I didn't have any problems with it, but I hooked it up anyway, just in case of any problems. I wish I knew why its an external connection too.
86GT is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: