MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-10-2001, 10:26 AM   #1
Erik
Registered Member

Post 289 Bolt-On recommendations and help

Hello,

I am a novice mechanic and basically know how the parts of the engine work. I don't plan on rushing my setup and plan to do every mod myself. Please help me find good quality parts for my 289.

I have a mainly stock 289 with a Holley 600cfm carb and an original Ford 4bbl intake. The engine has 30k miles on the rebuild.

I plan on pulling the Holley and replacing it with an Edelbrock 600cfm (just cause I hear Edelbrock holds the tuning longer). I'm also thinking about replacing the intake with an Edelbrock as well. Is replacing it a good idea or just stick with the stock 4bbl intake manifold?

Next I plan on replacing the exhaust manifold. I've read up on Hooker, JBA Shorty, and Edelbrock. I'm kinda favoring Hooker and Edelbrock just cause it goes all the way down. If you can recommend a better one that would be great. I'll finish the exhaust off with either some glass packs or flowmasters

Going down the list... I plan to buy a modified cylinder head set. I "was" favoring Trick Flow for a while, but when I read up that the stock pistons weren't going to clear the valves on their heads I decided to keep on looking. I've been looking into Edelbrock heads and I think they have a setup to where I can keep my stock pistons. If there are some better heads out there where I can keep my stock pistons, please let me know.

For the camshaft, I'm not exactly sure what to get. There are so many out there, it's hard to choose. I just want one where it won't push the valves into the pistons.

Same goes for the distributor and ignition systems. Not sure in that category as well. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

The engine has a 3 row radiator and a freshly rebuilt C-4 transmission. Would a 4 row radiator be recommended or is a 3 row sufficient?

I've been looking into the B&M shift improver kit and it seems pretty cool, but does it mess the transmission up over time?

I know this post is very long, but I'd like as much input as possible. I basically want to do as much mods as I can without pulling out the block. Come to think of it...can cylinder heads and camshafts be replaced with the block still in the car?

I plan to do these mods within a span of 1-2 years, no rush.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Erik

Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 11:28 AM   #2
Brian Browning
Registered Member

Hi Erik,
Welcome to the forum. I can't help you in every case but I'll share what I can.

As far as the intake, I'd definately go for it. I replaced the stock one on my El Camino with a Performer RPM from Eldebrock and not only will it flow better than stock, its a heck of a lot lighter and looks better.
My Mustang already had an aluminum intake.

I went with a Petronix kit on my Mustang's ignition. I also recommend it pretty highly. It will eliminate your points and condensor.

I went with a 625 cfm Demon carb to replace the 750 holley that was on the car when I bought it (way too much carb). I'm really happy with it.

My car came with tri-y headers so I can't say anything about any of the others. I've read on this forum where folks like JBA shorties. If I was buying a set now I'd sure pay the extra bucks to have them coated. In the Mustang and the El Camino they started looking like crap really fast.

FWIW,
Brian

------------------
65 convertible
'66 289 Hi Po motor, 351 heads, headers, duals, shelby intake, petronix,
4 speed top loader, 389 rear, road demon
Brian Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 10:25 PM   #3
Billgear
Registered Member

Eric,

Check out this webpage for a detailed 289 build up. http://www.blueriver.net/~finite/mopower.htm
The owner is a nice guy and would probably answer any emails.

Regards,
BillGear www.289mustang.com
Billgear is offline   Reply With Quote