MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-06-2002, 11:52 AM   #1
tluv302
Registered Member

Default Boring question..but need advice

Hi everyone,

I have a 1991 conv. LX 5.0 (automatic) that I am starting to empty my checkbook on.. Current mods are BBK shorty headers, Flowmaster cat-back, BBK pulleys, K&N conical filter, 3.73 gears.

My question is where to go from here..I don't know whether to install a chip (Diablo?), mass air meter, throttle body, or intake manifold. All of them would be nice of course, but I'd like to stay under $600.00. And as far as sizes on the maf and tb I'm lost. These mods are just for this year so I'm wondering what takes priority (ex: can I pass on the MAF and still get results from a new throttle body?, can I get more power from a new intake and still use the stock tb?)

This is the first time I've ever posted on a forum. I've done so much reading on other sites and everyone has a different opinion. I just want to know what the next step should be in gaining more horsepower...Thanks for any help..
tluv302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 01:28 PM   #2
Chevyguy
Backyard Mechanic/Chemist

I would guess that replacing the stock H pipe ( cats) with either a offroad X pipe or one with cats should be next. With the stock heads the intake and cam are ususally better off stock. Upgrading the TB to a 65mm is a good step. Many have claimed not much gain going to a larger MAF. With more mods you may see some gains there, but only around 3-5 hp or so.

The real barrier to significant HP gains is the stock heads. and you are not going to do a head swap for even close to $600. Maybe you could get the stockers ported and reworked for that price?!?!?

93 P-71 Vic interceptor Backup car now

90 5.0 LX Notch SOLD

74 Chevy Laguna type S-3 454 under construction
Currently apart undergoing bodywork.
Chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 01:32 PM   #3
Ackbar00
Rebel Fleet Commander

Cool

The question you need to ask yourself is "What do i want my FUTURE engine to be?" Like me, i know i want to go the turbo route so my TB will be a 75mm, it will not be so great on a near stock engine but i dont want to buy something twice. I Suggest you get an intake. Mines a homeported stock and with stock MAF and TB it picked over 4 tenths. So I think a good one like a trickflow or holly will pick it up a little more. These two intakes will work great for NA or Blown Engines. Both cost under 600$. Just remember to buy with what you want out of your future combo.

11.25@123.5 on only 8 psi.
10.84@121 on only 1 headgasket

"The Truth is, Your the Weak, and I am the Tyranny of Evil Men!"

Ackbar00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 04:09 PM   #4
95mustanggt
Registered Member

I agree with Ackbar00. You have to look at where you are going down the road. For example if you buy an MAF and then change injectors, you either have to buy a new MAF or have it recalibrated.

My vote would be for an intake. I like the TFS street heat, but any would be better than what you have. Then you could change everything else to match what you want to end up with. Heads will run you a lot more though.

The stock H-pipe does suck, so you may want to get rid of it too.

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote