MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-29-2001, 11:59 PM   #1
rwhite65
Ride Hard

Post Torque thrust2's and rear discs...whoever knows

1st, I am a member of over 4 years...but due to an email change, i think this thing is going to show me as a new guy, it has been maybe 2 years since I posted last.

I am going to put the tt2's on my car...have been told that the 4 3/4 backspacing will work with the 17x8 wheels. The car has been lowered about 1 1/2 to 2 inches professionally...I do not want to trim any fenders...anybody done this successfully?

also know of a way to put rear discs on an 8 inch using all parts that you can but at auto-zone, or any place like that....but still have not found a dual master cylinder for the setup...anybody know, I think I read in here of somebody that has rear discs, what master cylinder was that?

I know that the tt2's are currently being talked about, but I do not want to be in his situation of buying the rims then having to figure out how to make them clear.

if you want to see my car....search the users rides for 65 fastback, 13.0-13.9 e.t.

306, aod, 4.10's
rwhite65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2001, 01:13 PM   #2
gp001
Registered Member

rwhite65,

I have 17x8 TT2's (4 3/4 backspace) on my 66. I am lowered about 1 1/2", running 4 wheel disc, Trans Am Racing power dual master. I run 235/45 front and 245/45 rear. Before I switched to 17's I was having a problem of "squating" the body onto the tires when I would nail the throttle. I added subframe connectors and traction bars before going to 17's and have had no problem with any contact at all.
I will give you the advice I was given for the rims: HAVE THEM CLEAR POWDER COATED. Unless you want to polish them every other day. I just wash mine like the car and they are good as new.
You can see pics of my car at my site:
2MFF Fab Shop
Brake booster info is at(make sure Java is on):
Trans Am Racing

------------------
347 (Coast High short block), 279/284, TFS TW heads, Stealth, 750 Holley, Flowtech hdrs, Dr. Gas X, 2 Chmbr Flowmaster, MSD 6AL-Dist.& SS coil, March serpentine pulley system, Art Carr C-4 (Soon to be a Richmond 6 spd), Currie 9" w/3.50, alum Drv Shft, susp mods, Total Control subframes & tower braces, Trans Am Racing power dual master, 4 wheel disc, 17x8 Torqthrust II's
Something up my sleeve
In a 66 coupe
gp001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2001, 01:35 PM   #3
rwhite65
Ride Hard

gp001

I have had no contact problems with the fender to tire, except in the back....when I had people in the back seat and went over a decent bump, the back tires would rub....in high school I put a set of coil over springs on the back shocks to jack the car up a little. As soon as I get rid of the 14inch enki's and tires, I am going to take the coil overs off.

did that trans am booster clear the strut tower brace?

MY brakes are not the greatest now, how would you rate the stopping power of your setup?

I have a kelsy hayes proportioning valve right now, what one do you have?
thanks for your help...
Old 08-30-2001, 04:42 PM   #4
gp001
Registered Member

I think the traction bars (Under rider type) would definately help you. It will stiffen the rear up so that it won't compress far enought to rub.

The Trans Am booster is a beautiful piece. NO clearance problems at all. Bolts right in with a nice aluminum (CNC'd) spacer. Good clearance all the way around

I run a Willwood prop valve. My car has AWESOME stopping power. I do alot of canyon running and the braking system is great.
Old 08-30-2001, 06:20 PM   #5
rwhite65
Ride Hard

gp001 on the under ride traction bars, are you talking about the kind like the 65 shelbys came with??

you have got me sold on the brake booster...hope I will be able to say the same for my car.

thanks for your help!!
Old 09-03-2001, 11:27 PM   #6
mustang marty gt

he may be talking about the old traction bars like we had back in the 60's & 70's you just bolt them on the leaf spring 's or the new set up which is a whole different thing but the same it grab's and stops your ride from going down too low on kickoff lakewood or mr gasket etc may still have a set or two around if not e-mail me i'll build you a set you will have to find the rubber snubber's on your own

------------------
Old 09-04-2001, 07:20 PM   #7
gp001
Registered Member

Yes, the ones like Shelby used to use. Not the ones with the rubber snubbers. The ones I'm talking about bolt to the shock plate under the leaf springs and the other end is welded to the rear subframe.
Old 09-04-2001, 08:04 PM   #8
Gearhead999
Registered Member

Yes, you're talking about the old "underriders". Better known as Traction Master in the '60s. You can still get them. They are in most Mustang catalogs and the bolt under the shock mounts and weld to the frame where the front eye of the springs are. They work great. Limit rear movement and plant the tires on launch. Look good too.
Gearhead999 is offline   Reply With Quote