MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-24-2002, 02:34 AM   #1
crazyhumpyd
Registered Member

Unhappy 4cyl. T-5 transmission **HELP**

I have a 2.3L in my Mustang LX Coupe and I plan to rebuild and drop in a 302 Street Performance engine. I have a 4cyl. T-5 transmission and I was wondering if there was any way that I could keep that tranny with the 302. I have heard different stories about the 4cyl. T-5 and am confused now. I heard that you can buy a new input shaft and throw-out bearing to replace the old and too long 4cyl. input shaft and too small throw-out bearing. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
crazyhumpyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 06:31 AM   #2
wildneg
Registered Member

My buddies uncle works for a transmission shop. I brought this same question to him (He has rebuilt 1 T5 for me and a AODE). He said it could be done but if you put any power through that transmission it would ruin it very quick. He said it really isn't worth the hassel of converting it over to work with a 302. I never did go through with it. I ended up finding a T-5 and had that rebuilt from a guy. But from what he said, the shaft I Know for sure was to long I think. And that was one of the things he would have to fix in order to get it to fit. Not sure about what else.
If you do go for it, let me know how it goes. I can get 4cyl T-5s all over the place. If its cheap to rig up and it handles power nicely, then might be the way to go. But I heard from a few people about it breaking very easily with just a stock 302's power.

-- Kevin P
-- kevin@techsi.net
wildneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 10:27 AM   #3
Conman
Registered Member

I have read and heard that the torque capacity of the 4 cyl T-5 is much lower than the 5.0
it can work but don't expect it to hold up if you drive it like it's meant to be driven.
I'd do it right the first time and not worry about it

'88 lx, Black on Black, check it out here

Spent all my money on school, what a dumb mistake

I'm old enough to know better, but still too young to care.
Conman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 07:32 PM   #4
crazyhumpyd
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Thanks for the information!!!!
crazyhumpyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 10:33 PM   #5
sn95gt19
motors done......woohooo

i guess the only difference with the transmission is the input shaft size, you can use the same trans, but your gonna have to fabricate a pilot bearing for it, i know someone that actually made a spacer shim type thing and used the same trans without changing the input shaft, it sounds like more of a hassle than its worth to me, i would just get a built aod, with a stall and a shift kit, or just get a trans from a junkyard out of a 5.0
sn95gt19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 10:57 PM   #6
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Actually, the gears, bearings, syncros, and input shaft are all different between the 85+ Mustang 5.0 T-5 and the 4 popper model. The top 4cyl T-5's were rated at 240lb/ft, and the weakest 5.0 T-5's were rated at 265lb/ft.

A 1990+ T-5 would have upgraded gears and a 305lb/ft torque rating. That's what I would be looking for if I were you.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2002, 10:08 PM   #7
RoadWarrior
Registered Member

A 4 cyl T5 will work without any mods. I have one behind my engine and my engine was dynoed at 353hp and 364 lb ft. I know its a weak tranny but im making due with it till i can find a good T5. And i beat on it pretty hard and it hasnt kicked the can yet. But the key word is yet.