MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-05-2006, 05:56 PM   #1
mudchucker
Registered Member

Default 5.0 woe's

Ok guys, i have been trouble shooting this engine for a few months on and off and still can't get any fire to it. It is a 90 5.0 and i just had it rebuilt at a race shop. I now have a larger cam, heads and a new intake. The problem is now when i have everything hooked back up there is absolutley no spark. It ran great before the tear down, but now nothing. In a previous post i thought we had it tracked down to the distributor's hall effect switch being shot. I have since put in an MSD distributor with the new module on it. I tried to fire it and still nothing. could it be my coil? is there any way to test the coil?

thanks

Aaron
mudchucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 10:46 PM   #2
mpj76
Registered Member

Default Re: 5.0 woe's

I'm not sure this will work or not, but disconnect the wire from the top of the cap and stick it on a spare plug. Crank it and have a buddy check to see if the plug sparks. You'll at least know if the juice is getting that far.
91 Coupe: FMS 1 5/8 unqual shorty's, BBK off road X-pipe, Super Duty T5, Pro 5.0 short shifter, 2.73 rear, G3 alt, MSD coil, dist, no smog pump, oil cooler, 195K miles, 14 deg timing, 23 mpg city/29 mpg highway @ 65 mph.
mpj76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 10:00 AM   #3
Philossifer
Registered Member

Default Re: 5.0 woe's

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudchucker
could it be my coil? is there any way to test the coil?
thanks
Aaron
Aaron,
Hmmmm, I don't think there is a way to test the coil other than measuring the resistance of the primary and secondary windings to make sure there's no shorts. Or, by verifying you have 12-volts on the primary side and then checking the secondary side with a sparkplug or a spark tester.

I can tell you on my '89, the coil caused me a lot of grief. The car would run fine all day and then just die. Once I drove the car on a 400 mile round trip and when I was 2-miles from house the car died. Let is cool for 5-minutes and it started right up!

Since I'm not a very good trouble shooter, I started swapping parts. First I thought it was the fuel pump so I installed a new, high volume pump. Still had the problem. Then I replaced the TFI module; still had the problem. Then one day when it died on me, I noticed a mild electrical burning smell coming from the ignition coil and also noticed a white powdery ring around the coil casing.

I replaced the coil with a brand new one, and the car never died again.
Good luck,
Phil
Philossifer is offline   Reply With Quote