View Single Post
Old 05-25-2002, 09:28 PM   #3
stanger8172
Registered Member

I believe Mustangs will burn oil if you don't mod the bottom end and don't overhaul. I had my stockers worked over with milling, bigger valves, new springs.

I currently have to add 1qt. a week. The motor was in good shape when I got it 2 1/2 yrs ago with 80k mi. on it. Now it's got 132k under it's belt.

When you go hunting for your stang, try getting down low enough to see if there is any oil where the oil pan drain plug is, and the underside of the bellhousing( which is lined up with the oil pan). These areas wet with oil would be a sign of a bad rear main seal. This would be bad and expensive.

Checking the dipstick wouldn't be a bad idea either. If the previous owner used too light of oil grade then the dipstick might have a little dark tint to it.

Good luck
'91 LX convertible , T-5, Centerforce Dual Friction, MSD Blaster Coil, FR 9MM wires, 13* timing, 1.6rr, ported/polished/milled stock heads, 1.94/1.60 stainless valves, March Performance Pulleys, K&N panel, 1"spacer, BBK shorties, 2 1/2" off road H, Summit 2 1/2" catback
stanger8172 is offline   Reply With Quote