View Single Post
Old 08-11-2001, 06:49 PM   #7
PKRWUD

Jim-
That's very possible, especially if it's an older cap to begin with. Part of the reason caps go bad is because their precision is determined by a metal spring, and as we all know, heat weakens metal, which can result in a bad cap.

I do know, first hand, that if you rebuild or replace anything on your engine that requires you to remove the water pump, you need to place the pump in a bucket of water to keep the seals from drying out. We all know that you should just replace the water pump anyway, but some people don't, and for them they really should know this. I was taught that by an instructor in college that I really respected, and just took his word for it, but when a friend of mine refused to take my advice when I installed a cam for him, his old pump leaked. It had been off for about two weeks, and had dried out enough to cause damage. Keep in mind that in So Cal, things dry out pretty quickly.

Anyway, that was a very good point! I hope alot of prople read that!

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: JimPorterRacing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote