MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-11-2003, 03:22 PM   #1
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Thumbs up Got Into Old School Hot Rods.

Well guys, I must confess.

One of the reasons I havent been to this site in so long...is because....my automotive intrest kinda shifted. Dont get me wrong, I still Love the Mustangs, Always will. Hell I got 3 of them.

Well, I started tearing down Ol' Jolene (64 1/2 170 6cyl) to restore into a little Street Terror. It was horribly discouraging to say the least. The body shop that fixed the car after my accident when I was 16 did a number on the car.

Boy, I didnt know inner fenders were supposed to be welded to the shock towers; nor did I realize that the bumper brakets were supposed to be welded to the frame; Oh and let not forget that I learned that the Fenders are supposed to be TACK welded to the rad support. Yes, they have taught me alot, that Auto Body Shop has. Like how to use Tin Snips, Swear like a Proffesional ( I already knew how to do that), but not swear for 2 minutes straight without stopping for a breath.

They taught me (Definetly not how to spell worth a damn) how to Throw Body Panels 30 feet, how to throw body panels at People, and how to use Fenders for Self defense purposes.

Anyway, I got the car completely Stripped to a rolling shell. Front of the car is totally toast. From the first 2 inches before the firewall needs replaced. Everything!

After accessing the damage I thought I'd just put it to the side till I get the experience and knowledge to do it myself. Sucks because I had all kinds of parts for it.

So, my girlfriend at the time (Waffle House girl) got me interested in Old HOt Rods. So I did all kinds of research, started collecting parts. Its a 1930 Model A frame, gonna have a 27 T coupe body, chopped 5 inches, channeled 3 inches with a 390. Gonna be all old school. No part newer than 1960. Wide White Walls and all.

Thats my passion now. Nostalga Hot Rods, Rat Rods. Cant wait to get the 4.6 payed off so I can start. Its going to be awesome. I'll post pics of my concept.

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. Stage 2 CNC heads with Large Valves, Comp Cams (270-274 dur .550 lift), Forged Crank, DRP pistons, Manly H-beams, Pro M 87 mm Mass Air, 24lb Inj, 75mm TB, Plenum Spacer ,Long Tube Headers, Homemade H-pipe, 2 chamber Flows, 4:10's, Steeda Tri-Ax, LKW 70/30's, Eibach Drag Springs, Steeda SubFrames, Battle Boxes, Rear Girdle, Adj uppers, Alunimum Drshft, Southside Lift Bars.

Project Cars, 64 1/2 6cyl coupe, 1930 Model A Nostalgia Rod.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 10:29 PM   #2
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

Default Re: Got Into Old School Hot Rods.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mercury
Well guys, I must confess.

One of the reasons I havent been to this site in so long...is because....my automotive intrest kinda shifted. Dont get me wrong, I still Love the Mustangs, Always will. Hell I got 3 of them.

Well, I started tearing down Ol' Jolene (64 1/2 170 6cyl) to restore into a little Street Terror. It was horribly discouraging to say the least. The body shop that fixed the car after my accident when I was 16 did a number on the car.

Boy, I didnt know inner fenders were supposed to be welded to the shock towers; nor did I realize that the bumper brakets were supposed to be welded to the frame; Oh and let not forget that I learned that the Fenders are supposed to be TACK welded to the rad support. Yes, they have taught me alot, that Auto Body Shop has. Like how to use Tin Snips, Swear like a Proffesional ( I already knew how to do that), but not swear for 2 minutes straight without stopping for a breath.

They taught me (Definetly not how to spell worth a damn) how to Throw Body Panels 30 feet, how to throw body panels at People, and how to use Fenders for Self defense purposes.

Anyway, I got the car completely Stripped to a rolling shell. Front of the car is totally toast. From the first 2 inches before the firewall needs replaced. Everything!

After accessing the damage I thought I'd just put it to the side till I get the experience and knowledge to do it myself. Sucks because I had all kinds of parts for it.

So, my girlfriend at the time (Waffle House girl) got me interested in Old HOt Rods. So I did all kinds of research, started collecting parts. Its a 1930 Model A frame, gonna have a 27 T coupe body, chopped 5 inches, channeled 3 inches with a 390. Gonna be all old school. No part newer than 1960. Wide White Walls and all.

Thats my passion now. Nostalga Hot Rods, Rat Rods. Cant wait to get the 4.6 payed off so I can start. Its going to be awesome. I'll post pics of my concept.
sound's sweet merc, keep us updated, l8ter.

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 12:37 AM   #3
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Oh yeah, I'll keep you all posted. I cant wait to start it. Doesnt look like much now..Just a Old Ladder is all it really looks like, but it will transform into one mean looking Bruiser as soon as I get my damm engine payed off.

Gonna have a suicide front end, with a 5 inch drop front axle. Looking for 470-500 Hp out of a 390, which might not sound like a whole hell of alot, but in a car thats target wieght is 1800-2000 lbs....Thats alot of motivation....

I was orginally shooting for either a 30-31 A coupe body, five window, or a 30 Pick Up body, but it appears that my best bet (Cheapest...by far) will be a 28 Model A tudor sedan, or a 27 T coupe, or sedan body.

Wide White Walls, Fuzzy Dice and everything... Just waiting for that new Yellow Viper to pull up next to me.

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. Stage 2 CNC heads with Large Valves, Comp Cams (270-274 dur .550 lift), Forged Crank, DRP pistons, Manly H-beams, Pro M 87 mm Mass Air, 24lb Inj, 75mm TB, Plenum Spacer ,Long Tube Headers, Homemade H-pipe, 2 chamber Flows, 4:10's, Steeda Tri-Ax, LKW 70/30's, Eibach Drag Springs, Steeda SubFrames, Battle Boxes, Rear Girdle, Adj uppers, Alunimum Drshft, Southside Lift Bars.

Project Cars, 64 1/2 6cyl coupe, 1930 Model A Nostalgia Rod.
Old 10-17-2003, 12:44 AM   #4
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

hey i found 2 junkard's, ten acres each, they both have 1930- 1950 full car bodie's, with the parts car area behind them, my 69 is shot, except running gear, odie is going to north carolina for two week's, marty is going to the junk yard, hunting a 49 ford or 57 fairlane. heheheh. l8ter dude.

R H C- member # 1
Old 10-17-2003, 01:39 AM   #5
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Hey Marty, I know of a 49 Ford in a town not to far from Fayetteville. Guy has tons...And I mean TONS of Antique Fords. He's got a 49 Ford Tudor...Great car, for 1500 dollars. No Rust Through ANYWHERE! Even the Floors have just very minor surface rust...A light sand paper will probably take away all the rust. I mean this car is straight, and almost complete (Minus some interior pieces. It would be a great start.

Let me know if your interested...This guy has all kinds of cars..He's not a Junk Yard either. He has his first car still. A 62 Galaxie with a tri power 390...4 spd car...Its sitting between 2 62 406 Galaxies..both 4 spd cars...And behind it is a 62 Galxie 406 Drop top 4 spd.

Yeah, I already tried..He wont sell any of the Galaxies..."He plans on restoring them someday". ALong with his collection of 40 ford Tudor Sedans, and Coupes. He's also got several Model A Coupes. .. None for sale

The 49 Ford and few other cars are for sale though.
Old 10-17-2003, 11:54 PM   #6
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mercury
Hey Marty, I know of a 49 Ford in a town not to far from Fayetteville. Guy has tons...And I mean TONS of Antique Fords. He's got a 49 Ford Tudor...Great car, for 1500 dollars. No Rust Through ANYWHERE! Even the Floors have just very minor surface rust...A light sand paper will probably take away all the rust. I mean this car is straight, and almost complete (Minus some interior pieces. It would be a great start.

Let me know if your interested...This guy has all kinds of cars..He's not a Junk Yard either. He has his first car still. A 62 Galaxie with a tri power 390...4 spd car...Its sitting between 2 62 406 Galaxies..both 4 spd cars...And behind it is a 62 Galxie 406 Drop top 4 spd.

Yeah, I already tried..He wont sell any of the Galaxies..."He plans on restoring them someday". ALong with his collection of 40 ford Tudor Sedans, and Coupes. He's also got several Model A Coupes. .. None for sale

The 49 Ford and few other cars are for sale though.
sound's good merc, i cant go 1500 right now, i have to take a 2.00 per hr paycut just to go to dayshift, sux, does it run, if not i found a 68 cougar for 900.00, love them old cat's, gonna put the 69 running gear in it, hope i can find out if this car has an engine-etc, get them to let me pullit out, get it cheaper & put the old stang running gear in. i would love to have that 49 though, l8ter.

R H C- member # 1