View Single Post
Old 07-22-2007, 06:00 PM   #1
v8vinny
Registered Member

Default 5-Speed conversion from HELL!!!

So i picked up a tremec out of 93' fox the other day from a kid in my town. i already had the pedals, clutch cable, wires, sensors, everything. the trans was my finishing piece. So i started putting the trans in at work the other day, and all was going smooth. I got the original AOD out of the car and cleaned up the undercarage. I set the flywheel up and the clutch and pressure plate. this was the first time i ever put the bellhousing on first and then bolted the trans to it. So as we're putting it in it didnt really just slide into place, but was close enough to catch the four trans bolts. I had a really bad feeling about this, but my dad said you no sometimes you need to close it up with the help of the bolts, granted yea, but this was some serious space. So i let him tighten it up. so i finish it all up and got it ready to go.

It starts and then it dies. and then the motor wouldnt turn over.

So i think maybe the starter went bad, checked it, no. Did the motor blow, put a wrench on the crank, locked!

So i now rip everything back out and the trans, well it didnt want to come out.
Turns out the front bearing retainer, the aprt the throw out bearing rides on, pushed up so tight against the clutch disc that is held the motor from turning over. Needless to say i now have a cltuch disc with a bearing retainer sleeve, welded to it hanging on my wall.

I already got another bearing retainer assembly, but gota wait till monday to get a new clutch disc and hopefully all goes together well this time.
im guna take pics of the clutch disc and post them because its to amazing to not show the rest of the world.
v8vinny is offline   Reply With Quote