MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-20-2001, 08:26 AM   #1
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Post 60K miles and one LONG trip to TX, maintenance advice?

I'm almost at the 60K mile mark on my car. I have a real long drive from Edmonton Alberta Canada all the way down the west coast with a quick stop in Vegas (If I hit it big, the money is going in to my car ) and then to Dallas TX.

It looks like I'll be making the trip in mid to late June. I'm sure there is going to be some serious heat down south and I don't want any troubles.

With that long of a trip and the 60K mile mark both coming up what do you all recommend for Maintenance?

My car is almost stock (chip and exhaust), but check my sig for details if needed.

Thanks

------------------
Driving: 1998 F-150
Far way in Edmonton==>
1995 Mustang GT
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2001, 01:22 PM   #2
TEXSN95
Registered Member

2 things I would take with you is a new TFI module and a serpentine belt. You don't want to be stranded in BFE if one of those goes out. That's what I'm going to do when I go from TX to Cleveland next month. I would make sure your AC is fully charged, flush your entire cooling system and put in a new Tstat just to be safe. And do a routine tuneup..plugs,wires,cap/rotor/fuel filter, air filter. Ya it is hot as hell down here...you'll love it!!!

------------------
Clint L.
White 95 Cobra #3637
58cc GT40X heads with mild porting, Crane 2031 cam, FRPP 65 TB, 1.7s, Cobra intake, homeade cold air, 155lph, pullies, Tokico Illuminas, C springs, GW lower control arms, Steeda CC plates, aluminum driveshaft, Steeda quadrant, MSD6A, Mac shorties, off road hpipe, 2 1/2 ultra flows w/ dumps, R hood, Euro clear corners, stock 3.08s
13.61 @ 104.7 w/ 2.22
TEXSN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2001, 07:16 PM   #3
rtz
Registered Member

I'd put a new fuel filter on it. Go ahead and change out your TFI and save your current one as a spare.

Check the condition of your belt. If it is looking ragged or has cracks on the ribbed side, like where it goes over the water pump pulley, go ahead and replace it and keep your current one as a spare.

Look at all your water hoses. If they have any swollen spots on them or they are looking sick, change it out.

Pull your front and back wheels and take a look and see how much brake pad you have left. Change them out if they are looking thin.

You might also clean and re-oil your K&N before you go. Don't use too much oil on it because it might get on your mass air wire.

Also, change out the oil and filter on the car before you go. It should be changed out every 3000 miles anyways.

Have fun on your trip.
rtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2001, 12:24 AM   #4
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Don't even bother with checking the hoses. Just replace them. Tune up. Extra belt. Do your brakes, and carry some extra fluids on hand. Water, brake, PS, and windshield washer.

3000mi is a cakewalk.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2001, 03:57 PM   #5
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

I would 'ditto' all the previous advice and just add that when changing the radiator hoses, change the heater hoses too, as they sometime get 'forgotten' and a leak there is just as bad as a leak in a radiator hose.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2001, 07:49 PM   #6
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Thanks guys, that is pretty much what I thought. I was worried about overheating. I flushed the cooling system last spring/summer (~10,000 miles). Should I do it again?

I never thought about the hoses, thanks for the input.

One last question. TFI? Can't think of what that is short for. (I'll probably remember after some one posts it.)

Thanks

------------------
Driving: 1998 F-150
Far way in Edmonton==>
1995 Mustang GT
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote