MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-06-2001, 04:34 AM   #1
fastsvo
Registered Member

Unhappy Electrical woes...please read

Hi guys, today I gave my fastback it's first real world driving experience in 5 years and in the end, left me stranded. Here's the problem. Something is causing a big drain/short in the elec. system, because when jump started the car soon began to misfire and die and turning the key resulted in nothing. This condition was backed up with another attempt later in the evening, with the same results. Broke out the test light and began poking. At the batt,alt, and starter solenoid I get a very bright light, but when the key is turned to the run position (one click to the right), everything but the alt. gives me a very dim light. Also, the hot connection at the coil is very dim. So what gives? Actually even the interior lights turn dim when the key is turned on. Could the starter solenoid or even the starter causing this? What about the regulator? If the solenoid gives a bright light on the right and goes dim on the left side (the "I" post I believe), doesn't that make it a suspect? Remember, the alternator still shines a bright light when the key is turned on. The solenoid is a new motorcraft unit and the starter is a Pep Boys special. Any help would be appreciated, because I need to get this car running tomorrow. Thank you.
fastsvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2001, 06:51 PM   #2
zach0
Registered Member

First, DONT USE a test light! Use a volt meter. thats the only way to get a true reading. Could be a dying battery. Went through the same thing. Also Check and make sure you have a good ground to the block from the battery the engine to the body and the body to thew frame. that should solve any problems. The altenator can be taken to any auto store and checked for FREE
PEP Boys, Auto Zone, Advance Auto Hope It RUNS

------------------
66 Mustang Black W/ Black
289 Hi-Po 65'heads, MSD
Lunati High lift Cam
750CFM Carb Heddman Headers, Hurst Shifter
zach0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2001, 06:52 PM   #3
zach0
Registered Member

ALso, if the light is dim on your coil, it could be your battery because all that does is supply the power to be boosted to the Plugs.
zach0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2001, 08:35 PM   #4
Gearhead999
Registered Member

YO, first start with the basics and check the battery, alternator output and wiring. Don't make the repair harder then it is.

Gearhead999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2001, 10:33 PM   #5
fastsvo
Registered Member

Well the battery is brand new. After disconnecting each accessory, the solenoid, coil, starter, and regulator...I still got a very dim light. I know, volt reg. is the way to go. I bought a new ignition switch...what a ***** to replace. Haven't finished it yet...we'll see what happens
Old 09-07-2001, 12:43 AM   #6
jwboner
Registered Member

My guess would be the ignition switch, but now we'll see. The contacts inside get old and don't deliver much current across a weak connection. Next I would say the regulator, I got tired of messing with mine and put in the gm one-wire and works great even though it now walks kinda funny with the brand x part. Good luck

------------------
65 fastback
347 DFI injected, TFS heads, T5, 4.11 9", tc subframe conns, torq thrust D's
A little history lesson using today's tech.
jwboner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2001, 12:23 PM   #7
fastsvo
Registered Member

Thanks for all the input guys. It ended up being the alternator and the regulator. All is well now. Next, I have to either fix the current dim switch or replace it in order to get my guages to light up again.