MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Windsor Power (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   $70 Supercharger! (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=19149)

pxcr_600 02-04-2002 06:41 PM

$70 Supercharger!

Hey guys, i came upon this website and an add for it in a mag. Read for your self about the $70 supercharger!!! Tell me what you think, if you think they are good i will buy one!, and then read about the "turbo exaust tubes" Tell me what you think.

The $70 supercharger is at:

http://www.spiralmax.com

The turbo tubes are also there, here is a direct link:

http://www.spiralmax.com/tet.htm

Mach 1 02-04-2002 06:56 PM

wow, not only do I think you should buy one, I think you should send me $1000.00, and I will pray that your car goes faster. What a deal, eh!

avbcon12 02-04-2002 06:58 PM

oh man, i hope this is a joke.....

adam

pxcr_600 02-04-2002 07:18 PM

all i wanted

Hey all i wanted you to do it read the artical. Not post all that bullshit about praying and stuff. NOT NEEDED GUYS!

BowTie Eater 5 Liter 02-04-2002 07:56 PM

Im calling bs on this one. There is no way that thing is a "supercharger", and i do not believe it would add any hp. Air likes to travel in the straightest path, and this would only cause interference when it "spirals" the air.

RED92LX50 02-04-2002 09:34 PM

Straight from their website:

Typical range of improvement over baseline is:
0 to 35 increase in horsepower,
0 to 31.85% increase in fuel economy.

My bet would be that your results would be at or near the ZERO end of these ranges!

If you want, I can sell you a used leaf blower you can strap on your intake - only $10 plus S/H (and I too guarantee results over baseline of 0 to 35%) :-)

84LX89GT 02-05-2002 02:02 AM

wow....that really is a way to "supercharge" your car as they say.....that's total BS. I actually saw a dyno sheet in a truck mag where they installed one of those and torque went up by like 1 ft/lb and they lost like .5 mpg.
Waste of money in my opinion....better spent ANYWHERE else.

tough90pony 02-05-2002 04:30 AM

There is the same thing on an info-nercial I saw and they call
theirs the Tornado Fuel Saver. They put it on a dyno and it increased around 10 hp.

joe4speed 02-05-2002 04:58 AM

Re: all i wanted

Quote:

Originally posted by pxcr_600
Hey all i wanted you to do it read the artical. Not post all that bullshit about praying and stuff. NOT NEEDED GUYS!
LOL

tireburner163 02-05-2002 08:33 AM

No way in hell is any of this stuff gonna work.

A intake spiral is gonna get riped apart buy the intake runner. There's no way it would keep it's shape. Even if it did it still prob. wouldn't help.

7000rpmisheaven 02-05-2002 09:16 AM

The main idea behind supercharging is forced induction. I don't understand what it is that costs 70.00 bucks either. pxcr-600 you would be much better off buying RED92LX50's leaf blower. He is selling it much cheaper.

That would be a funny sight. You pull up to the line to race, get out open the hood, and pull the cord to start your leaf blower supercharger. :p ;)

stanger8172 02-05-2002 09:18 AM

Don't believe the hype!
Buy a $70 fart can and get more horsepower! j/k:)

LX XLR8R 02-05-2002 10:01 AM

"1996 Mustang GT V8 4.6L EFI- Installation was easy...I find that I enjoy entertaining myself with the quick and slick throttle response, particularly in traffic. On the freeways, I run about 5 mph faster with the SpiralMax (tm) than "normal" with the same rpm. And in 5th gear at 2500 rpm, the car has plenty of reserve for acceleration."

you know how much yellow spray paint and stickers you can buy for $70...common now..i thoguht you knew better

jimberg 02-05-2002 10:32 AM

This product is the same thing as the Tornado as already mentioned. The advertisement for which you provided the link doesn't provide much information so I can only comment on what I know about the Tornado's claims.

They claim the Tornado uses the same technology as turbo-fan engines on airliners. This claim is similar to referring to the device as a supercharger since jet engines and superchargers (and more closely, turbochargers) use the same technology. Jet engines and super/turbochargers use spinning turbines to compress air. Jet engines use the exhaust to turn the turbine which is what makes them more like turbochargers. The tornado or the device in question do not spin. They only passively cause the air to rotate. The restrict airflow more than the improve it.

In the Tornado infommercial they demonstrate how flow is improved by using two liter bottles taped together in the shape of an hour glass. Instead of sand they contain water. When they just turn it over, the water just goes "glub, glub, glub" like we're all familiar with when we try to pour oil too quickly. Then they swirl the water to create a vortex and, wow, the water just pours right on over. This demonstration is specious since they are comparing water, which cannot be compressed, to air, which can be. The reason water doesn't pour easily without the vortex is that the air from the side where the water is being removed is at a lower pressure than the air in the side where the water is being moved. The glubs are where air makes it from the higher pressure side to the lower pressure side. When the vortex is created, a little air hole is generated in the middle of the vortex that allows both sides to maintain equilibrium.

Then, finally, they have another demonstration where they show a box with a vacuum on one side and a hole on the other. This pulls the air through the box. A little spinner is placed inside the box that just kind of moves erratically back and forth. The fins are straight. The "inventor" then places the device on the intake hole and, wow, the spinner starts to spin really fast. Once again, this demonstration is specious. They try to leave you with the impression that the air is moving faster since the spinner is spinning faster. The reality is that the spinner only measures if the air is spinning. It doesn't measure the velocity of the air.

Since they use deceptive gimmicks to sell the product, it's a pretty good bet that the product is a fraud. They make their money on shipping and handling charges that don't get refunded or the poor saps that either think they work or are too embarrassed to try to get their money back.

$70 would be better spent on underdrive pulleys or an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. If you have both of those, you are more than welcome to send me the $70 (plus a $10 materials fee) and I will cast a voodoo spell on your car to make it faster. I'm sure that I can guarantee the same results. If not, I'll return the $70 but the $10 is non-refundable. :D

silver_pilate 02-05-2002 11:35 AM

This statement caugth my attention as to the actual gains seen in performance:

Quote:

(Actual performance may vary, depending on type of car, driver, and actual driving conditions.)
Haha...I guess the performance increase caused by this gimmic depends on the driver!?! Maybe if he holds his tongue just right and presses the pedal with his big toe only, you'll get a few more hp out of it.

Acutally, I think alot does depend on the driver for this product. If your a 17 year-old driving a phat Honda Civic with fart can and tricked out rims with the fire extinguisher on the A-pillar, you can probably see 35...heck, maybe even 50 hp from this product.

Yeah...I'll spend that cash on something else, thankyou very much.

--nathan

95mustanggt 02-05-2002 03:23 PM

Perfect description jimberg!

Believe it or not in some cases "fins" used to direct air will actually increase airflow. However in these cases the "fins" are used to keep the airflow laminer and prevent turbulant flow. This little fixed propeller thing does nothing but drain you of $70.

chatcher 02-06-2002 06:51 PM

i heard that if you install one of those things you will see increases in hp as long as you keep your halogen fluid topped off

lol

94GTConv 02-09-2002 06:50 PM

$70 supercharger worth checking out?

Guys I live about 30 min from this "supercharger" place. Think it'd be worth the time to check it out?

chatcher 02-09-2002 07:29 PM

no