MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-26-2001, 02:46 PM   #1
byrnech
Registered Member

Question 7000+ RPM hyd. roller motor?

I know I asked a simular question before but is there any one out there that is using a non-stock hyd roller lifter that is having good results past 6500rpm? Like the comp cams pro magmun series. If so, how much were they? the reason I ask is that I am having a 331 built and I got the TFS-R intake, and every dyno test i have seen says this is a real high rpm piece. I think I may have over done it.
byrnech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2001, 04:31 PM   #2
Moxie
Registered Member

I don't know of any hydraulic roller engines that can spin past about 6400-6500rpm and last. Mechanical and solid rollers are a different story.

------------------
Moxie Racing

The Nitrous Oxide Information Site
Moxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2001, 08:53 PM   #3
Edgar Negron
Registered Member

Well, look at the street renegade cars, do you think that they go 9s at 6000 rpm? No! Plus they have to have stock roller lifters. As long as you have the bottom end strong the only thing you need is a good Hydr roller cam, custom and the springs for that 7000 rpm. Go for it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Moxie:
I don't know of any hydraulic roller engines that can spin past about 6400-6500rpm and last. Mechanical and solid rollers are a different story.

Edgar Negron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2001, 12:55 PM   #4
byrnech
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply, can anyone recommend a good valve spring set up for that application. Basically I'm having a 331 built by FPS, forged pistons, h beam rods, forged crank, 1/2" head studs, 10:1 comp, AFR 185's, TFS-R intake. I'm looking for max rev's to get the most out of the intake. I could just call comp cams or k-motion, but I really value individual opinons. thanks guys.
byrnech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2001, 02:23 PM   #5
stanglx347

Thumbs up

If your are aiming for High RPM usage, I would go with a Solid Roller (and I did for my car 7000-8000 Shift range). The reason being, Solid Rollers with properly adjusted Rocker Arms yield superior accuracy at Higher RPMS then Hyd. You also can start looking at more aggresive Lobe Lift on a cam so the valves can open/close faster. Over all if you can afford the investment in the Cam, Lifters, Springs then I say do it. Although I would not recommend driving it on the street.

In any case, if you are shooting for High RPMs, I suggest getting a nice Rocker Arm Girdle to aid in Top end stability plus endurance.

You asked about springs, well the ISKY Springs and Push Rods that I went with were excellent in quality and I can highly recommend them.

-James
Old 07-30-2001, 02:26 PM   #6
stanglx347

While I am at it, if you do get a Girdle for the ROcker Arms, I say go with JoMar, they make some of the best you can buy and they are not that expensive. Think I paid around $190 for mine. Not bad when you consider the extra insurance they add.
Old 07-30-2001, 04:06 PM   #7
CRIPPLED PONY
Registered Member

I use the crane power max--244/256 @ .050 and .595 across the board on the exhaust lift. Its rated for 7000 rpm plus. I take it to 7000 with no problem. I just don't push it past it because of my own personal preference

Quote:
Originally posted by byrnech:
I know I asked a simular question before but is there any one out there that is using a non-stock hyd roller lifter that is having good results past 6500rpm? Like the comp cams pro magmun series. If so, how much were they? the reason I ask is that I am having a 331 built and I got the TFS-R intake, and every dyno test i have seen says this is a real high rpm piece. I think I may have over done it.
CRIPPLED PONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2001, 04:08 PM   #8
CRIPPLED PONY
Registered Member

I use the crane power max--244/256 @ .050 and .595 across the board on the exhaust lift. Its rated for 7000 rpm plus. I take it to 7000 with no problem. I just don't push it past it because of my own personal preference

Quote:
Originally posted by byrnech:
CRIPPLED PONY is offline   Reply With Quote