MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-15-2002, 08:02 PM   #1
vetteeatr
Registered Member

Default 8,000 RPM!!!! A few questions about race motors

Hey I was wondering what i woudl have to change to have my 5.0 survive 8,000 RPM?

I was plannign on buying a Victor intake that has the RPM range at 4k to 8k.

I cant decide if i want jr or regular victor heads?

Basically i want to knwo can i have a motor built fo rall teh power to be in the high high RPM range and still have it be driveable?

If I shift at around 7500 what would bea good combo?

Is this complete lunacy?

I know ill lack alot mroe power down low but I really dont want it as I can hold any traction anyway.

I will have 3.55 gears probally for better roadabilty so i dont **** every few feet.

If I stay below 2500 RPM around town will i still be getting 1 MPG or somethign reasonable. I know the ports are alot bigger but i dont knwo how this will affect my gas consumption and power.

Anyone hav a guess at my numbers at diffrent RPM.

Also for this combo im gonna have to get a crazy cam as well i figured and figured that will mess up some stuff. Any help here?

Should i not try to rev taht high or is it possible for a street car if i modify it.
Also gimme all the ideas you guys got. Thanks

World Windsor Sr.'s, Harland sharpe rockers, 3.73 gears, pulleys, no ac, hurst shifter, 10:1 pistons, BBK full length headers and H-pipe with flows.

Under extensive work for porting and fly cutting to accept my new cam and to match my soon to have systemax intake *DROOL*

Best E.T. 13.20 with edelbrock RPM intake and 70mm TB
vetteeatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 08:51 PM   #2
Oldschoolpony
Registered Member

About 10K in parts and machine work.
Oldschoolpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 09:50 PM   #3
Eric4Nitrous
Registered Member

if you really wanna turn 8,000 on the street take my advise. Build a windsor. A 408 would be a good combo for you. If you want it carbed go with a 830hp dbl pump, Victor Jr. Heads (worked over), Super Victor Intake, long tube headers, scat billet crank, billet rods, make sure you have a good bottom end. For cam I'd go with a Comp .647 lift int/.632 exh. It's a VERY radical cam..makes good power from 4500-9000+ rpm. I'm gonna drive mine on the street once i get my new motor in. It will rev to 9,000 easily...and is gonna have VERY poor gas mileage...and be extremely loud. Just some things to consider. If your gonna rev it past 9,000 take my advice. Keep it a track car. It's gonna be a nightmare trust me. Mine's gonna be a hoot to drive.

Eric
Eric4Nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 11:16 PM   #4
Stroked408
Registered Member

Thumbs up 8K rpm's for a race motor mild

I think a 302 based block could turn 8,000rpm's with no sweat,it would have to be either an A4 block,R302 block,or the new Dart block since they are all 4-bolt mains.

I keep reading where people are saying Bennet this and Bennet that,it is a place in Indiana called BES which stands for Bischoff Engine Service that can build you a race motor,they built Chuck Simons,and Andy Law motors for them,and Chuck Simons is virtually un-stoppable in either Hot Street/Street Bandit,and he is only running 360 cubes,at least that was the last count who knows now.

Kuntz,Keith Craft,and USA Racing Engines are other good choices,and if you happen to hit the lotto give the guy from Indiana a call,give you a hint who he is,his old man used to rule Pro Stock in a T-Bird in the 80's.

Any of those guys are respectable engine builders,and willing to help which I think Bennet would do to,last but not least Ronnie Manchester in Conneticut,he just happens to build Billy Laskowsky motor for his Hot Street buggy.

Just a few names to think about when you decide to build a high rpm screamer,good luck with it.

Launch Harder

Go Faster
Stroked408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 12:17 AM   #5
Stroked408
Registered Member

Thumbs up Re-read your post

Vette-Eater,
just read your post agin,you can make that type of rpm with a fuelie combo,but it would be so much easier with a carburetor,let me see if I can make a sound judgement call here from intake to pan
950HP carburetor from Holley
Ported Super Victor intake
Inline Valve head either Victors or Victor Glidden head
Canted valve Yates SC1 or Brodix BF200
Jesel valvetrain parts
Custom cam from Cam Motion
Step headers
Ross Pistons
A4,R302,or Dart block in 8.2 or 8.7 deck height
And a very serious bottom end,some people call it a rotating assembly,this is not fact hard parts,just my opinion I am sure there are other combos out there,but the Windsor blocks definitely make the hp if you go that route

Launch Harder

Go Faster
Old 06-16-2002, 01:36 AM   #6
vetteeatr
Registered Member

What do you guys think of this?

Victor Intake with 75 mm throttle body
Victor Junior heads
around 42 ibs injectors
1 3/4" longtubes
What kind of cam?
Around 13:1 compression forged pistons
With stock crank and rods.
Harland Sharpe rockers

Am I gonna be good till around 7500 RPM max or do i really need some more extensive work?

If i have these components how bad of gas mileage will i really see around town and on the highway wiht 3.55 or maybe 3.27 gears as I want this to be driven on the street. I also dont realyl want to rebuild my engine every few thousand miles. I can doa complete rebuild every 10k or so would really be fine though Probalyl even less as it wont be my main transportation. Thanks

World Windsor Sr.'s, Harland sharpe rockers, 3.73 gears, pulleys, no ac, hurst shifter, 10:1 pistons, BBK full length headers and H-pipe with flows.

Under extensive work for porting and fly cutting to accept my new cam and to match my soon to have systemax intake *DROOL*

Old 06-16-2002, 10:12 AM   #7
LX5liter
dude5l

I wouldn't try it with a stock block,crank and rods.The stock block isn't all that strong to begin with.

Brad R.
1992 L.X. 5.0 coupe
MODS: A few little bolt ons
New Best time ...11.60 @ 128 mph @ 2000+ ft altitude.

Rice Haters Club member #39

Users rides #2542
LX5liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 12:18 PM   #8
Stroked408
Registered Member

Thumbs up Agree

I definitely agree with that,I would get some aftermarket rods,pistons,and a crank.

Since you are staying with injection your gas mileage will suffer a little but not to the extreme if you were going to go carb.

Victor Jr's heads come in a number of different configurations,the 7719 Victor Jr's come setup for solid roller cams and I believe they go for about 1200-1500 dollars,Edelbrock claims they support 500hp out of the box so that is not a bad place to start.

Look at the AFR 185,and 205 head also.

One last question how much hp you want to make and how fast you want to go?

Launch Harder

Go Faster
Old 06-16-2002, 12:33 PM   #9
vetteeatr
Registered Member

LOL i want to go faster then any person on earth!!!! YEAH

Realistically I want to be able to go 180 MPH at least if i ever can make myself do it.

I want to run low 10's maybe 9's in the quarter but I want my gears to not be set up for drag racing so much looking at more 3.27 or 3.55 so ic an piddle aorund town wihtout shifting every few feet. I had 3.73 in my msutang and even those were kindaannoying at some times.

I know by having this rear end set up itll hurt me alot on my quarter mile time but as i said i want it to be a driver that whenever i want be able to scream.

I want around 650+ horses or around there which i figure will allow me my goals.

I also plan on a little boost sometime own the road int eh way of 6 or 8 ibs.

Does anyone know how the compressin thing works as Ive been told the bigger combustion chamber the lower static compression or something???

If i was gonna run a little boost later on should i have such high compression pistons in teh begening? or maybe 10:1

I was looking at the victor Jr.s with 70 cc combustion chamber.

Actaully I have decided ill probalyl never go over 7500 RPM really and getting that high will rarely happen anyways unless im on the track i would guess.

Should I use my 10:1 pistons i allready have which will drop it in teh 9:1 range with the larger combustion chamber and tehn supercharge it or will the low compression mess my cam annd other hitngs up?

Thanks once again

Old 06-16-2002, 12:40 PM   #10
vetteeatr
Registered Member

Actaully since im gonna have to replace the whole bottom end anyway should i just get a stroker kit and add a few more cubes? Does the longer stroke effect the RPM factor? I have not a clue what this stuff means however ive heard of people destroking to make high RPM engines? Would this hurt my effort?

Old 06-16-2002, 01:18 PM   #11
Stroked408
Registered Member

Cool De-stroking

Man you are talking a black art there,de-stroking and engine,there are 2 ways you can go with your combo since you want to run 9's.

The easiest way to run 9's and not tear the engine up too bad would be with a supercharger somewhere in the 12-15 pound range.

I would stroke it in a heartbeat,somewhere in the 331-347 range,320-331 strokers are not bad either but since you asked here is what I would do:

331-347 stroker with a steel bottom end do not mess around here especially with the boost you are going to need.
8.5 forged pistons for reliability and durability,and also if you keep it tuned correctly you can run the other pistons,I wouldn't but you can.
AFR 205 or Victor Jr heads
Comp Cams XE282 cam
13/4 long tube headers maybe step headers full 3 inch exhaust
C4 automatic tranny with a trans-brake for when you go to the strip
Holley Systemaxx II or TFS R intake
50 pound injectors
aftermarket electronics
and maybe a parachute(lol) just kidding with that part
This is not very detailed but it is a start,gives you a small foundation to start with.

Good Luck

Launch Harder

Go Faster