MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-07-2001, 10:15 PM   #1
Bryjo
Registered Member

Post Starter Problems

I have a '66 Mustang coupe 6 cylinder with starter problems. I am not much of a mechanic and usually take the car to an expert for repairs. Now I can't start it and he won't come to me. Is it difficult for a novice like myself to remove the old starter and install the new one? I plan to tackle the job, but don't want to do more harm than good. Your advice would be appreciated.

Bryjo
Bryjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2001, 11:16 AM   #2
thunderbolt
Registered Member

Starters are relatively easy. They can be a bit time consuming because under the car they are awkward to handle but pretty easy. Disconnect the battery. Then disconnect the wiring to the starter at the starter. Take out the two or three bolts holding in the starter, slip it out. You may have to pull the bolts before you can take all the wiring off. Look at the wires first and make a note of which wire goes to which post on the starter. After that, take it to the autoparts store and have them check to make sure the problem is the starter. If not, you probably have a bad starter silonoid or bad ground. Good luck with it. Old cars are great, but they will break down on you.
Bill
thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote