MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-18-2004, 07:29 PM   #1
Red5Ltr
Registered Member

Default Electric fan

How many guys use an electric radiator fan? I've been told that it will free up about 15-20 h.p. How reliable are they. The last thing I want to do is over heat.
93' Mustang w/ a stock 302 block, E303 cam, 3.73 gears, Pulleys, Edelbrock Performer upper and lower, Edlebrock 70mm throttle body, gt40 heads 1.94 intake, 1.60 exhaust, 1.6 roller rockers, American Thunder exhaust, BBK cold air intake, BBK off road H-pipe, BBK 1-5/8 shorties, AOD with shift kit and 15* timing.
Red5Ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 03:29 PM   #2
GhOsT6_9
Registered Member

I'm running one, works great, no problems as of yet. I'm running a Proform 15" (identical to Flexalite Black Magic).
5.0L, T-5, 1969 351W heads, cut & welded stock plenum, F-303 cam, Mac 1 5/8 full length headers, Cat'd H-pipe, 3.73 gears, Underdrives, SSM lift bars, E-Fan, 3G Alt, Custom Chip, Autometer gauges, Weld Draglite wheels , M/T ET Street Radials

Best 1/4: 13.33@101.53MPH
GhOsT6_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 04:58 AM   #3
HISSIN50
Registered Member

when i scanned your sig, i did not see a 3G upgrade. that is something i would do first. some of the smaller fans do ok in terms of not killin the charging system, but if you have your eyes set on a fan that flows a lot of CFM's, like a Mark VIII fan, you will need all the juice you can get. good luck.
HISSIN50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 07:48 AM   #4
C&R Racing
Registered Member

C&R Racing supplies radiators and fans to NASCAR teams, with 100% coverage in Nextel Cup. The standard fan for these guys is the 16" Spal High Peformance Pull Fan. It is a 2360 cfm fan which we sell for $150 or so. We have been doing some development with Spal, and are poised to release a new 16" fan which will be sold exclusively by C&R Racing. It is a 3100 cfm fan, which spins at 10,000 rpm (up from 7,000 on the standard high-perf fan). It draws 27 amps (about 5 more than the standard) and will sell for $239.
We are soon going to have a series of Mustang aluminum radiators, with a launch date of June 1, 2004. Initially offering all-aluminum (no epoxy like some of the other aluminum radiators on the market) for Fox Mustangs and later. These will be available with or without the Spal electric fan option. Look for us at the Indianapolis Mustang Show in June, and at the Good Guys event at Indianapolis Raceway Park the following week-end.
C&R Racing 317-293-4100 or www.crracing.com
C&R Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 08:22 PM   #5
White GT
Registered Member

3G Upgraded and Flex-a-lite Black Magic. No problem at all til now.

Real test this summer.

3G Alt is a must if you add electrical componants on your car. Big sound system and electrical fan are two of them. And why asking 85% of power of the factory Alt when you can just ask for 60% to do the same job with a 3G.

Both are easy to install.

My GT

My Web Page

On Car domain
White GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 10:17 AM   #6
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

flex-a-lite fans SUCK

If you want a good fan go with a Ramchargers, SPAL, Mark VIII, or Taruas.

The Mark VIII fan pushes more air than any aftermarket fan.

-Josh, aka the tireburner

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 08:23 PM   #7
HISSIN50
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tireburner163
flex-a-lite fans SUCK

If you want a good fan go with a Ramchargers, SPAL, Mark VIII, or Taruas.

The Mark VIII fan pushes more air than any aftermarket fan.

-Josh, aka the tireburner
yep, and to clarify: if using a taurus fan, i would look for one out of a 3.8L motor. nice little fan with 2 speeds (many get away with just using the low speed). it sips amps pretty easily (does not draw too much).
Old 04-22-2004, 09:23 PM   #8
powerdyne 5.0
Registered Member

about how much hp will it free up?? i found this electric fan at a juck yard so I bought it for 20 bucks. Its probly a 16'' fan but a have no idea what it came from. There are just three wires from it. There is a low speed and a high speed. What do I need to install it?????
Old 04-22-2004, 10:25 PM   #9
Comatose
Registered Member

10-15hp would be a conservative guess, not to mention a slight increase in gas mileage. So far I like my BM fan, easy to install and more importantly, keeps the car cool. No charging problems yet with the stock alternator.

1986 Mustang GT

K&N Filter, Removed Air Silencer, Black Magic Fan, 65mm Explorer TB, 110lph BBK Fuel Pump, F/M Force II Cat -Back, O/R h-pipe, U/D's Timing@14*

1986 Mustang LX SSP--new project car

AOD, 3.27's, Dumps, 238k miles
Comatose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 12:24 AM   #10
HISSIN50
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by powerdyne 5.0
about how much hp will it free up?? i found this electric fan at a juck yard so I bought it for 20 bucks. Its probly a 16'' fan but a have no idea what it came from. There are just three wires from it. There is a low speed and a high speed. What do I need to install it?????
i would be careful about making sure you have something adequate - you did not say what the fan is out of. if it is off of a 4 banger, it might not flow enough CFM's to cool decently.
that is the one knock on many (i did not say all) electric fans. many just dont flow like a big mechanical fan with a properly operating stock set up (fan clutch, rad, etc).

i know with the 110* ambient temps i see here, i will go with a Mark VIII fan (later model with the motor quirks worked out). or perhaps an SN95 fan.

to answer the question about how to install the fan, you have many options. depends upon how you want to wire it, and how anal you want to be (using freewheeling diodes and such).

many have crudely wired in a toggle switch to supply direct power. i hate that idea. at the very least run it off of a relay, so you can send a low current (12 volt or ground) pulse trigger to a relay, which feeds the fan. you can also wire in a relay to have the fan kick on when the a/c is on. i would also recommend a fan controller, which will have a thermostat so the operation of the fan is controlled without input from you.
although pricey, the absolute best controller i have seen is from here:
http://www.dccontrol.com/

a friend of mine has one and it is awesome. it is progressive and variable. really nice piece....

good luck.