MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-13-2001, 06:41 PM   #1
the bandit
Registered Member

Question rear disc conversion

i have an '89 gt, looking to do a rear disc conversion. has anyone ever done this? does anyone know what it would cost, or what i would have to do? is it easy or hard?
the bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2001, 12:38 AM   #2
QuantumMotorsports
Registered Member

Hey, I'm getting a turbo coupe rear end to put in. I've heard that you can get turbo coupe axle and brake parts (I think they're 9 or 10 inch disks) I'm told they can be made to work on stang drum rear ends. If you want, when I get my rear end, I can make some measurements to see if the housing is the same as the stang drum rear (that's what I'm told) I know my drum rear on my cougar is about an inch wider overall, but the disc rear is narrower than mine. Anyway, good luck. I know there are places that sell disc conversions. You might try stangparts.com or summit.

------------------
Michael Black
Quantum Motorsports
Norman, Oklahoma

1988 Merc Cougar 5.0 HO, Ported and Polished E7TEs, 2.25" offroad H pipe w/ 2 chamber flowmasters, T5 tranny
New E/T!!!
14.626 @ 94.94mph, 2.194 60' time, a little better than last time. Keep in mind this thang is heavy (3590lbs) Finally 14s!!!!

QuantumMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2001, 09:39 AM   #3
the bandit
Registered Member

Thumbs up

yea, definetly tell me how it turns out, thanks.
Old 06-14-2001, 10:18 AM   #4
gray87GT
Registered Member

I've been looking into this and on the Corral there are a couple people who have web sites about this. They use Lincoln MarkVII calipers, caliper mounts, rotors and brake hoses. They axles are the drivers side of a ranger with 9" drums, or aerostar passenger side axles. Just do a search for lincoln brakes on the Corral.
gray87GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2001, 01:40 PM   #5
the bandit
Registered Member

cool thanks, i will also look into that.
Old 06-14-2001, 05:42 PM   #6
LOCASH
Registered Member

I have done the conversion using the stainless steel kit. Had I known then what I know now I could have saved some loot. It was about and afternoon by myself. The toughest parts were bending the brake line (shock was in the way) and for me taking the axles out. The spider gears fell out and at the time I didn't know how to get them back in. Your looking for someone with the handle Matt90GT on corral. He has an excellent site just about the brakes and how to improve them. Lots of info. He even has the part #'s from carparts.com and the prices. I have the page on my drive but I can't find the link. If your e-mail add. is on here then check to see if I was able to send it to you as an attachment or something from yahoo. If it's not there you can e-mail him directly and ask him for the link --
mjbobbitt@yahoo.com

------------------
86 GT T-tops, AOD, B&M shift kit and hammer shifter, ROH wheels, K&N, Timing,MAC headers, 2.5 off road H, 2.5 American Thunder, 87 spindles, rear disc,SS lines, BBK 1.5, poly bushings, Steeda G-trac and subs, Strut bar.
"DRIVE LIKE YOU STOLE IT!"

[This message has been edited by LOCASH (edited 06-14-2001).]
LOCASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2001, 07:55 PM   #7
Buko
Registered Member

Cool

An 87 or 88 Turbo Coupe disc rear end is almost a direct bolt in. You get either 3.55 or 3.73 gears (std and auto respectively) a Trak Lok and disc rears. The quad shock mounts need to be drilled two inches lower and an adapter is needed to bolt on your stock soft line to the TC rear.....THAT'S IT! The TC rear is 3/4" wider on each side so large size tires or rims may need to be fit checked. I converted to a TC rear, SVO 73mm fronts,SVO Master Cyl and an adj prop valve for under $350.

------------------
Tom Bukowski
92 GT A-Trim
Buko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2001, 09:43 PM   #8
the bandit
Registered Member

Talking

cool thanks guys for your help. when i get the money to get it done, i will post the results.