MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-27-2007, 12:07 AM   #21
pearce9906
Registered Member

Default Re: 88 lx 5.0 needs help!

Ok, I finally made it to the junk yard today to get another EEC, the guy there told me not to replace the computer, he says he thinks there is what he calls a "multifunction module" on the car that controls fuel pump, a/c compressor, cc, and cooling fans. He told me that he believes starting in 86 they put these on all ford module excluding pickups, says it sounds like it is bad, also says he thinks it is on the left front of the engine compartment. I have looked and can find nothing so far, but it was getting dark out and I have no garage. Anyone have any idea what this "multifunction module" is, or where/if this car has one? It sounds to me like this should be on a newer model to me and not the 88 eec-iv speed density.

Any help is really appreciated. Thanks.
pearce9906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 09:55 AM   #22
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearce9906 View Post
Ok, I finally made it to the junk yard today to get another EEC, the guy there told me not to replace the computer, he says he thinks there is what he calls a "multifunction module" on the car that controls fuel pump, a/c compressor, cc, and cooling fans. He told me that he believes starting in 86 they put these on all ford module excluding pickups, says it sounds like it is bad, also says he thinks it is on the left front of the engine compartment. I have looked and can find nothing so far, but it was getting dark out and I have no garage. Anyone have any idea what this "multifunction module" is, or where/if this car has one? It sounds to me like this should be on a newer model to me and not the 88 eec-iv speed density.

Any help is really appreciated. Thanks.
Well I have never heard of a multifunction module...
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:14 AM   #23
pearce9906
Registered Member

Thanks Dark_5.0, I haven't heard of on either, other than OBD II.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:27 AM   #24
pearce9906
Registered Member

Alright, I replaced the EEC today, got the fuel pump running, like it should be. Finally! Now it is just time for a tune up and voltage check of tps again and another stang will return to the road! Idles a little rough, but plugs need changed again do to fouled condition, possibly replace IAC and MAP sensor. Maybe tweak the timing a little and install an adjustable fuel pressure reg. and I'll be one happy man. Next is a little body work. I hope to get it painted this coming spring. I'll post some pics when I can, maybe try to do the before, during, and after thing most of us always wish we would have done. I'll try to keep updating as I go. Thanks for all the comments.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:51 AM   #25
Chap
Registered Member

Did you check all your gaskets for leaks around the fuel system?
Chap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:35 AM   #26
pearce9906
Registered Member

Chap, thanks for the reply. I just replaced all the fuel injector o-rings and pintle caps, also while I had the plenum off, I went ahead and pulled the intake and replaced the intake gasket, turns out it was leaking in several places also. I would say this will fix all of my problems, when I put the car back together, I had one injector that is leaking, so I need to fix that before I can drive the car. Bad thing is, I had to start back to work on Sunday, my next day off is Friday before I have time to work on it again. But yes, I think it will be an easy fix. Thanks again.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:27 AM   #27
pearce9906
Registered Member

Alright, I know it has been awhile since I last posted. I have the car running great. I fixed the fuel problem, and since I have moved on to even greater things. The clutch was givving me fits, harder than hell to depress the pedal, I pulled the motor, turns out the car was originally an automatic, they did a great job converting it to a five speed, but they used an 83 t5, no big deal right? wrong! it wouldn't have been a big deal if they had used all the proper parts when they converted it, but they used an 83 flywheel and an 88 clutch kit. Why is this a big deal? well, it turns out the earlier model used a ten inch clutch, whereas the later model used a 10.5 inch clutch. big difference. The center of the clutch disk was always grinding on the flywheel and therefore the clutch was never fully engaging. I went with the ten inch clutch kit, turned down the flywheel to get rid of the wear and burn marks, and wow did it ever liven the car up!
As of now, the car is in the body shop, complete paint job! A buddy who has his own garage owed me a favor or two, so he is re-doing the whole car for 1200 bucks, can't beat a deal like that! I hope to post a few pics after the rejuvination is complete.

By the way, does any one know where I can get a good deal on some new upholstery, I have some new seats to put in but the upholstery is so damn expensive.