MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-01-2002, 06:22 PM   #1
Simi Stang

Default 88workcar-? reducing weight

88workcar-
I originally posted these questions at the end of that reducing weight thread that you replied on earlier today. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm reposting it as a new topic. A few questions for you. I'm looking to further reduce the weight of my stang. I already have lightened my '90GT considerably by removing the sound deadening, all smog equip., added a Harwood fiberglass hood, and alum. heads. I'm still looking to lighten it up some though. The a/c (that doesn't work) will be next to go.

What exactly is..."that big chunk of crap bolted to the rear end, right were the drive shaft hooks up"?? That weight is not important to the driveshaft & rearend, nothing to do with balancing?? So it is ok to remove it then?

Also, do I have to remove my driver's side fender to get that windshield wiper fluid resevoir out? And where is the pump/motor that feeds the fluid up to the windshield? Shouldn't I remove that also? I know every little bit helps!

Thanks in advance-
Old 11-05-2002, 05:49 PM   #2
Simi Stang

Default reducing weight

Ok...I guess '88workcar missed this one.

Anyone else feel free to chime in please!
Old 11-05-2002, 08:00 PM   #3
88workcar
Registered Member

Cool

I just saw it
The block of metal is bolted under the center of the rear end. On the front, right below where the drive shaft bolts in. If you have too holes there, it's already gone. It is only there to absorb harmonics.
You do not remove the fenders. Remove the fender liners. From here just remove all the junk that is hidden away in there. The little pump is in the resovoir.
Their is quite a bit of stuff under the fenders. Remove the ball looking thing with the vacume lines. Just all that crap.
Have you removed the vacume canister under the hood? The bumpers and mounts? Complete A.C. all associated parts under dash? All rear cosmetic plastic, rear seat belts and brackets? I also have a pin on rear hatch. I wish I had the K-member and A-arms, and Alum heads.
To be old and wise, You must first be young and stupid I'm somewhere in tthe middle.
88workcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 08:23 PM   #4
Simi Stang

Default reducing weight

88workcar-

Thanks for getting back to me. So removing that thing off of the rearend(mine is still there), won't add any additional vibrations to my driveline?

"The ball looking thing with the vacuum lines"...is that anything important? Where do those vacuum lines go to?

I'm not sure if I've removed the vacuum canister? Where is it located and what does it look like? I removed basically all of the smog equipment, pump and lines...but for some reason I still have that charcoal canister smog thing hanging underneath the airbox, so I know that needs to go.

I haven't removed the bumpers and mounts because I still drive it on the street on the weekends...and don't want some idiot crashing into me and ruining my stang that I've put all this work into. Did you replace the the bumpers with anything at all? For a little bit of protection? Do your bumpers sag, looking from the outside? When I bought my GT(salvage title), the support for the front ground effects was already missing, as well as most of the sound deadening in the car.

I'm going to rip out the a/c & anything else I can find at the time, hopefully over the Thanksgiving weekend! So I may seek your help once again, if I come across some roadblocks. Which associated parts of the a/c are under the dash, that I can remove?

Thanks for all of the info. I'm sure I'll be calling on you again in the future.

Simi Stang-
Old 11-05-2002, 08:40 PM   #5
88workcar
Registered Member

Cool

Yes the charcoal thing got to go, all of this had no ill effect on mine. My freinds say that if I get in a wreck, we can call the morge. Its not that bad, no the stuff don't sag. No vibration.

I am looking at your track time, me and you would be one hell of a run. Motor or NOS, of course I will have to put third gear in "The GRINCH"
To be old and wise, You must first be young and stupid I'm somewhere in tthe middle.
88workcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 03:59 PM   #6
Simi Stang

Default reducing weight

Yeah, we probably would be a pretty close race. Too bad you are on the other side of the country.

What about the a/c associated parts that you mentioned are under the dash? What all is in there? And is it worth me ripping into the dash when I do the a/c removal?
Old 11-06-2002, 05:35 PM   #7
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

I'd invest in some lightweight plastic seats if you are that seriously into weight loss. I have a pair that I had in mine for a few days, but I drive my car ALOT and couldn't put up with them every day. its atleast a 40-50lb savings right there.

Harwood sells lexan windsheilds for about $90, something else to think about.

The stuff behind the dash isn't too heavy, but every little bit counts, so go rip it outta there! (i gotta do that this winter)
Old 11-06-2002, 07:51 PM   #8
Simi Stang

Default reducing weight

Actually I'm not that serious about reducing the weight of my stang. Otherwise I'd be losing the power steering, and taking out my bumper supports and take the risk of getting hurt everytime I drive my car (no offense 88workcar!). I'd just like to take out anything that I'm not using...or that I don't need...without changing the appearance or ride quality of my stang. I drive my Mustang on the weekends, so I won't be changing seats anytime soon, unless some day I can afford some Flofits, Recaros, or Corbeaues(sp?). Lexan windsheild...that's a little too full bore for me. My car already rattles enough. But thanks for the tips!
Old 11-07-2002, 07:50 AM   #9
Jeff Chambers

Trying to remember some weights from the changes that I've made over the years. My car weighs in at 2920# with me in it (170#) and 5-gallons of fuel and 25# of ballast. Its an AOD car too.

Air bag steering wheel => Grant ~12#
Door impact beams => out ~17# per side
Air bag system => ~10#
90GT front seats => Late 70's van seats ~37# each
90GT rear bumper => out ~45#
90GT front bumper => out ~47# (inc. fog lights)
Unnecessary wiring => out ~25# (carb conversion)
The wiring doesn't include computer & EFI harness
Glass moon roof => Lexan moon roof ~17#
Big battery => Dynabat ~27#
Sound deadener => out ~23#

I've got a complete list somewhere in my files that includes things like fiberglass hood, manual brakes, vacuum system, spare tire, etc. I've tried to weigh the differences of things as I've made changes to my car. I think those above were about the biggest hitters though.
CRT Performance
2001 Tropic Green Mustang GT - 12.181 / 113.2 MPH
2002 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 7.3l Power Stroke - 17.41@77.2

"There's nothing boring about a small block automatic shifting gears at 9400 rpm!"
Jeff Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 02:01 PM   #10
USMC302
Registered Member

Trim fingernails and get a haircut before running that night! Works for me!

No really, I removed my bumoer and supports too not to lang ago, seemed like 50lbs but I know it wasn't, no sag or cosmetic difference at all. The car is only drivin when going to the race a racing, but as everyone knows here, yes it is dangerous.

Get rid of the front sway bar too. Battery trunk kit.

I never thought about the water tank and motor, I will be doing that this weekend now.
Old 11-08-2002, 05:55 PM   #11
Simi Stang

Default reducing weight

Thanks for all the tips guys! I'll be doing some further lightening of my car real soon.