MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-15-2002, 03:36 AM   #1
funkymonkey
Registered Member

Default Converting a US made mustang for driving to Australia

hehe time for you guys to be import drivers, yes that's what we think of you on this side of the world, anyways, thanks for a cool car, and here's how the conversion's done, think some of you might find it an interesting read;

http://www.autospeed.com.au/A_1211/page1.html

Cheers

Fear my stove lights!
funkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 03:53 AM   #2
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

To convert a Stang to drive "TO" Australia you'd need to build a hull under the chassis and add an outboard engine

But really, that just doesn't even look right seeing a Mustang like that. I think for the popularity this car has developed over the years Australia should have started driving on the right side of the road and left the car alone LOL.
Project: 1988 Coupe - EFI 5.8L Twin Turbo with Victor intake, Canfield heads, F303 cam, March aluminum underdrive pulleys, TKO (or T56 if funds permit), PBR twin piston calipers and 13" rotors up front, 94 Cobra rear calipers and 12" rotors on the rear, 3.73's, Griggs K-member, tubular front control arms, torque arm and panhard bar, polished 99 Cobra wheels.

"The GR-40 kit installation is now complete, and the humble Fox-chassis car will now out-corner and out-stop a ZR-1 or a Viper, and support massive horsepower additions with perfect balance."
Griggs Racing

ICQ# 42269241
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 05:19 PM   #3
DAN-MAN
Confederate Cowboy

If I'm not mistaken, they put the steering wheel on the right on Mustangs shipped to Australia. I also heard (though not sure if true) that they only ship 350 right handed GT's down there a year. Funky monkey, can you verify this? Also, I have some friends from Warwick up here staying for a year. They said that the roads down there are terrible. Is that true? Just curious.

Daniel.

RHC MEMBER #25
DAN-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 05:27 PM   #4
jj_jonathon
Trisket

maybe its just me, but my jaw dropped at tthe sight of the front end of the red cobra...the extra (fog?) lights look increibly good on the new stangs !...very very cool...

My 02GT vert
Media Center Pics
BBK Underdrive Pulleys | K&N FIPK (Gen II) | Bullet Grille | Mach 1 Chin Spoiler | UPR Interior Parts | XM Radio | Audiobahn Subs

Ricer Hater's Club Member #1/2 (30) http://www.ricehatersclub.com/
jj_jonathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 06:04 AM   #5
funkymonkey
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DAN-MAN
If I'm not mistaken, they put the steering wheel on the right on Mustangs shipped to Australia. I also heard (though not sure if true) that they only ship 350 right handed GT's down there a year. Funky monkey, can you verify this? Also, I have some friends from Warwick up here staying for a year. They said that the roads down there are terrible. Is that true? Just curious.

Daniel.
I dunno the exact number but I can tell you that its a very limited number that we get down a year, 350 sounds about right.

I don't kow if they're shipped right hand drive tho, think Trickford does the conversion on most of em. Which would make sense coz it'd be hard to manufacture a limited amount like 350 a year in RHD.

Roads depend on which part of australia you live in. Sydney roads are terrible. Melbourne is OK, perth has the best roads. The drive that crosses australia (sydney to perth) is the best drive I've ever been on (besides the autobahn in germany).

The top legal speed limit in Australia is 110km/h on highways.

Most CBD roads are congested n stuff, like most other cities. And taxi drivers here are the same as the ones in NY.

Fear my stove lights!
funkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote