MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-17-2004, 09:10 PM   #1
Mustang Brandon
Registered Member

Question 89lx vs 89gt

two weeks ago i bought a 89 lx hatchback. Its in pretty much mint condition. theres shorty headers, flowmasters, and K&N air filter on the car allready. my cousinused to own a 90 gt and he told me that lx's would beat him. are they lighter or do they have a different gear ratio or some thing
Mustang Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 09:41 PM   #2
420nitro
Registered Member

Default Re: 89lx vs 89gt

Quote:
Originally posted by Mustang Brandon
two weeks ago i bought a 89 lx hatchback. Its in pretty much mint condition. theres shorty headers, flowmasters, and K&N air filter on the car allready. my cousinused to own a 90 gt and he told me that lx's would beat him. are they lighter or do they have a different gear ratio or some thing
The LX hatchback are lighter then the GT, and the notchbacks are the lightest.. and the sticks are also faster then the auto's in stock trim.
420nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 10:05 PM   #3
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

GT convertible: 3,333 lbs

LX convertible: 3,257 lbs

GT hatchback: 3,194 lbs

LX hatchback: 3,110 lbs

LX coupe: 3,045 lbs

*sorced from the NADA

There really isn't enough difference between the LX and the GT to make the LX noteably faster. Maybe your cousin was just a bad driver, or maybe he just ran into some modded foxes or something. There could be a million different reasons.

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 10:12 PM   #4
Mustang Brandon
Registered Member

im 14 and bought this car for $2750 ive been saving since i was nine for my first car. do you think a set of cobra R rims would dress it up any?
Old 02-17-2004, 10:48 PM   #5
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Quote:
Originally posted by Mustang Brandon
im 14 and bought this car for $2750 ive been saving since i was nine for my first car. do you think a set of cobra R rims would dress it up any?
IMHO, you can't beat the classic look of Pony rims. Cobra are rims can be guady looking.

My car currently has a set of stock 89 GT turbine rims on my car, soon to be replaced by a set of Weld Drag-Lites.

How many miles does your car have? 5-speed or auto?

-Josh, aka the tireburner

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 11:09 PM   #6
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Holy moly Brandon, I love your tenacity! First Mustang at 14!!! You are a real credit to the young generation...took me 22 years longer than you to get my first Mustang (although I have owned over 12 other cars, houses, boats, married, and had three kids during that time).

I want to be a wise guy and tell you to wait at least until you can drive before you start dumping money into that thing...but, heck, why not? You can still enjoy riding in the darn thing and hopefully you have an older family member who can teach you to drive the thing safely in an open parking lot (my wife started to drive when she was your age...she lived on a farm). I can see that you already have respect for cars...or you would not have bought it.

Hey all you junkie Rice Burners.....look out for this guy.

My only advice would be to not let the car interfere with your education...I mean the kind where you get a diploma and a degree. That is what is really important. Be safe too...a Mustang is like a loaded weapon...it's a big responsibility.

On to wheels. It's a personal choice really. Wheels can change the appearance of a car more than anything but a paint job. There are lots of choices out there.

Check out ebay and watch for auctions posted by AFS Wheels. You can win a set of four Cobra R wheels for less than $400...chromed. They also have lots of other choices. You should be able to get a nice set for under $600...believe me. Don't spend too much, you may need it for engine work...it is an older car and it makes no sense to spend 50% of the value of the car on wheels.

Also, look at www.wheelreplicas.com. They have some real nice "knock-offs" and low prices. Great sales too if you catch them.

I graduated from college in 1990, so I remeber that car well. The LX was notorious for whipping the GT. Some of the LX's could be had stripped...no AC...no nothing. These were the real screamers when new.

Good Luck!

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 11:56 PM   #7
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

Hey Brandon,

My son Chad (15) is the same way. We just bought him a 98 GT in October. He has already added Flowmasters, a Bullitt shift knob and ring, Ultra Clear headlights with clear corners and rear bumper letters.

Every day he has another set of rims picked out. The parts catalogs and Mustang magazines litter our whole house and you should see all the Mustang sites we have listed on this computer.

I'm glad to see kids getting into Mustangs, Rice is for supper!
Orange97GTVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 10:50 AM   #8
BigCountryGT
Registered Member

The 4 lug pattern will hurt you some in rim choice.

Pony rims are classic also drag lights look good on the lx's
Old 02-18-2004, 11:34 AM   #9
Mustang Brandon
Registered Member

my car is a five speed and i drive it almost every day. its a mile to our mailbox i live in the boonies.
Old 02-18-2004, 11:36 AM   #10
Mustang Brandon
Registered Member

10,000 miles but im pretty sure it rolled over before i got it.
Old 02-18-2004, 02:17 PM   #11
RBatson
Registered Member

150#s is worth about .15 in the quarter or approxiately 1 1/2 car lengths. Like Blake said, alot of owners got them stripped or without alot of the options which cut down on the weight even more. I believe the manual is lighter than the aod as well. The lx coupe was the car to have. The last time I weighed my 89lxvert it weighed 3500#s, its a pig.