MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-03-2001, 12:50 PM   #1
hubiev_89lx
Registered Member

Post Heavy clutch 89lx

I have been driving around with the clutch being heavy. It is extremly heavy. It takes almost all the power that I have to operate it. Driving in the city is nearly impossible. The guy I bought the car off of said that there was a performance clutch. I did the adjustment thing with the pedal and lubricated the cable. This made little difference if any. What else could be the problem? I can't seem to locate the master cylinder, is there one for a T5?
hubiev_89lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2001, 05:07 PM   #2
nerpall
Registered Member

I had a similar problem when I bought my 88GT in the spring. Previous owner said it was a Centerforce performance clutch. After looking into a possible quadrant problem I came to find the clutch simply had a Centerforce clutch cover only...the clutch was original w/ 89K miles. Had to have the entire clutch replaced. The flywheel was not even resurfaced when the clutch cover was changed. The result was a clutch assembly that did not seat together properly, hence the heavy pedal pressure. Also the trans was run for quite a while with low fluid and required a complete rebuild...input shaft, counter shaft, cluster assembly and bearings. Good Luck !!
nerpall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2001, 04:38 PM   #3
hubiev_89lx
Registered Member

Question

Well a bit more info..... It is also very hard to get into gear. Reverse always grinds. When I try to engage first gear the car moves ahead slightly. I think that I know what is wrong....clutch shot. Am I right?? I think that I will also check the fluid level. I am thinking there are multiple problems here.

[This message has been edited by hubiev_89lx (edited 09-04-2001).]
hubiev_89lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2001, 05:11 PM   #4
1989_351W
Registered Member

Sounds to me like the clutch is bad. The three 5.0 5 Speeds I have had all grinded every once and awhile going into reverse, even after a rebuild...
1989_351W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2001, 12:09 PM   #5
nerpall
Registered Member

My rebuild trans will grind slightly into reverse. This is pretty normal. Try shifting into 5th (with the clutch in obviously) and then into reverse. This usually helps avoid the grind. Otherwise sounds like your clutch isn't releasing completely. Possibly a bad quadrant, clutch cable, release arm or the clutch is worn. Start small and eliminate the cheaper fix before dropping the trans. If they do drop it for clutch work might not be a bad time to have the trans looked at too. Otherwise you end up paying twice to look at the trans later.
nerpall is offline   Reply With Quote