MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-21-2001, 12:24 PM   #1
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

Question 9" rear end swap questions - Please respond

I am considering swapping to a 9" rear end since my new 8.8 went south on me. What I need to know is what year/make of car/truck do I need to look for a rear end out of and what extra parts will I need? I checked pricing on new components and that's just too far out of my budget right now so I'm looking to go with a junk yard swap. Any help with this would be appreciated.

BTW, we have a local spring shop here that can do all the fabricating for the control arms fairly cheap.

Thanks.

------------------
Gunning for 12's!

Buy your parts here
ICQ# 42269241
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 01:02 PM   #2
Coupe Devil

Ok going to the 9 inch isnt as easy as it sounds. You need a rear out of a mid 70's Lincoln Versais. (sp) It will be the closest to the correct width. The case will be cast so welding to it for the uppers wont be a problem. The advantage is they are next to bullit proof. Also the lincoln rear will have disc brakes and will be 28 spline so you can use four factory four lug axles. Or you could just come up with a new 8.8 but it's up to you. If you plan on keeping the car go with the 9 inch. It will ocst more but be much better. One other thing is the gear you plan to run. A nine inch case is different between the gear sets. It goes from like 2.70 to 3.50 with the same case, 3.73 to 4.56 with the same case and 5.13 and lower have a different case. I am not sure which most of the lincolns have.

Another thing is what you do with the car? If it's just a street mild strip car, I'd go with a used 8.8 If it's just a drag car, the 9 inch is the only way to go. The 8.8 will also be cheaper to work on and replace later if you hull it rather than the 9 inch.I have a factory 8.8, single track, 2.73 geared rear i will sell. I have a used posi track and set of 4.10 to go with if you would like that.

------------------
'93 lx notch 4 banger (drive it to work currently), 89' 4banger in prep for all out drag car. Using the 306, 8.8 posi, 4.10's, summit rear cover. Future Mods granatelli lift bars, bbk uppers, Flex-a-lite elec. fan, cowl hood, wieand stealth intake, holley 650 d.p., built c-4 or c-6, e-303, 10 inch wheels in the back with slicks, skinnies up front, pulleys, full autometer guages, msd box, mallory unilite dist, and coil, custom headers, rear seat delete, aftermarket front seats, roll cage
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 01:31 PM   #3
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

Hmm. Well, that sounds like too much work. I'd be interested in your rear end. I sent you and email.

------------------
Gunning for 12's!

Buy your parts here
ICQ# 42269241
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote