MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-28-2004, 07:49 PM   #1
chatcher
Registered Member

Default billet flywheel ?

hi i was just wondering what (if any) the advantages are to using a billet flywheel instead of the stock flywheel i am getting ready to replace the clutch and while im down there i am figuring thats as good a time as any to replace the flywheel if ness thanks in advance for your help
Old 12-28-2004, 09:51 PM   #2
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

Default Re: billet flywheel ?

a steel or alum flywheel would be lighter than stock, lighter drivetrain = quicker car. personally, i would just resurface it and thats it, if its in terrible shape i might upgrade to steel. alum flywheels are dangerous and would not recommend them for street use.

he's my grocery list:
clutch
pressure plate
throwout bearing
pilot bearing
rear main seal
resurface flywheel (must be done)
synthetic ATF (optional)
1990 GT,stock T-5,K&N w/o air silencer,March underdrives,FMS wires,timing@14*,PA Perf 130amp alt,Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter,Steeda adj quadrant/clutch cable/firewall adj,Centerforce II clutch,o/r x-pipe,Magnaflow SS catback,g-load brace, subframes,Bilstein struts/shocks,Autometer gauges, 136k and running strong!
GhettoPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 11:08 PM   #3
chatcher
Registered Member

what makes an alum flywheel dangerous sorry if this is a dumb ?
Old 12-29-2004, 09:12 AM   #4
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

in a high rpm situation, it can come loose and bust though your floorboards, possibly injuring or killing the driver
1990 GT,stock T-5,K&N w/o air silencer,March underdrives,FMS wires,timing@14*,PA Perf 130amp alt,Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter,Steeda adj quadrant/clutch cable/firewall adj,Centerforce II clutch,o/r x-pipe,Magnaflow SS catback,g-load brace, subframes,Bilstein struts/shocks,Autometer gauges, 136k and running strong!
GhettoPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 10:04 AM   #5
Ackbar00
Rebel Fleet Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoPop
in a high rpm situation, it can come loose and bust though your floorboards, possibly injuring or killing the driver

Bagh! If had to do it over agian, I would get a alum. one.

11.25@123.5 on only 8 psi.
10.84@121 on only 1 headgasket

"The Truth is, Your the Weak, and I am the Tyranny of Evil Men!"

Ackbar00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 11:56 AM   #6
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

Hey Ackbar, what's with the z28?
Old 12-29-2004, 01:04 PM   #7
Ackbar00
Rebel Fleet Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ieatcamaros
Hey Ackbar, what's with the z28?
Its my buddies, and he actually did the picture himself

Best part is, his old lady there just bought a 02 GT

11.25@123.5 on only 8 psi.
10.84@121 on only 1 headgasket

"The Truth is, Your the Weak, and I am the Tyranny of Evil Men!"

Ackbar00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 09:55 PM   #8
chatcher
Registered Member

ok the only advantage of a billet flywheel would be weight reduction and of course then alum would be even lighter and i see there is a mixed opinion on the alum regardless of that i dont think i will spend 350+ for a new flywheel anyways so oem or billet probably will make no diff in my situation either from what i gather correct?
Old 12-30-2004, 12:17 AM   #9
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

Unless you're racing, there really is no reason to buy an aluminum flywheel. If you ever plan on racing it in a sanctioned race, get one that is SFI approved.
Old 12-30-2004, 07:38 AM   #10
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Stock flywheels are cast iron, weigh a ton, and generally aren't supposed to see over 6,000 RPM. Billet flywheels are machined from solid steel, weigh quite a bit less (surprisingly less, actually) and the SFI rated ones are spun well over 6,000 for an hour. Not sure the exact RPM, but SFI rated balancers are spun at 10,000 for an hour!!! ALuminum flywheels are a LOT less weight, and spin up extremely fast, great for getting that car to rev up quick off the line. On the down side, they fall off speed FAST too, got the whole mass/inertia thing going on there. That'll just make ya mad driving in traffic. If you're planning on street driving, and it appears good, get your's resurfaced and magnafluxed to check for stress cracks. If you got some $$$ laying around, go with the billet steel job.

Hey, Akbar. T-5 problems??? I can hook you up with a LIKE NEW TKO II, 2.67 first gear and shifts awesome bro!

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 07:48 AM   #11
Jeff Chambers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoPop
Absolutely not true. In fact, you stand a greater chance of this occurring with the stock cast flywheel than with either a billet steel or aluminum flywheel.

A billet flywheel (like chatcher originally asked about) is a good upgrade if you're going to be running the car at high RPMS, on slicks, road racing, or any other situation that is going to impose heat, stress and abuse on the flywheel. A billet flywheel has better uniformity to it as well, so it'll stay truer when heated up. Aluminum flywheels got their start in the road racing ranks (because they spin up quicker) but have found a home in drag racing as well.

Personally, I like my legs alot and want to keep them so an SFI flywheel (or flexplate) has always found its way into my car once the car progressed past what the Ford engineers originally designed it for.
CRT Performance
2001 Tropic Green Mustang GT - 12.181 / 113.2 MPH
2002 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 7.3l Power Stroke - 17.41@77.2

"There's nothing boring about a small block automatic shifting gears at 9400 rpm!"
Jeff Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 03:56 PM   #12
chatcher
Registered Member

what does sfi mean?
Old 12-30-2004, 06:07 PM   #13
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

And I quote, Ahem..

"Beginning

In 1963, a group of racing products manufacturers formed an association known as the Speed Equipment Manufacturers Association, or SEMA. Original organizers deemed the central purpose of the association to be the development of products specifications for use by the suppliers of equipment used in racing. The products performance specs would be among the chief functions of SEMA.

In those early days, SEMA's pioneers struggled with the development and implementation of various product specifications. Many "unknowns" faced the innovative entrepreneurs in areas of design criteria, testing and promulgation of specifications. But their dedication to the industry and racing won out and it wasn't long before the specifications were accepted and formed a part of sanctioning body rule books.

Eventually, if certain products on a vehicle didn't "meet SEMA specs," the owner could be denied participating in a motorsports event. A specs program for the performance products industry was born and has continued for many years as a result of the determination of the founders of SEMA.

The Specs Program Becomes More Specialized

Approximately a decade after its inception, SEMA turned its attention and resources to the increasingly important matters of legislation and governmental regulation, marketing projects, the SEMA Show and various other activities common to a professional trade association serving the interests of an ever-changing, progressive industry. The specs program became the responsibility of the SEMA Service Bureau, an organization whose operations were exclusively in the field of product specifications and testing programs.

In time, the need for yet a more sophisticated specifications program became apparent. A new organization, the SEMA Foundation, Inc., or SFI, was formed to replace the Service Bureau, chartered to organize and manage an expanded industry specs program. That name has been shortened to SFI Foundation, Inc.

SFI spins-off from SEMA

Although a proud beginning, SFI now operates as a foundation independent from SEMA, yet dependent on all segments of the industry it serves, both for funding and participation. SFI maintains its own managerial staff and oversees technical committees. The Foundation is funded by companies which voluntarily participate in the specs program, along with financial support from member sanctioning bodies. As a result of this support, SFI has developed programs for almost eighty different products used by manufacturers, motorsports groups, and consumers worldwide.

SFI has been an independent foundation apart from its parent association, SEMA, now called the Specialty Equipment Marketing Association, for many years and no longer stands for SEMA Foundation, Inc. SFI currently provides an expansive specs program because years ago a handful of manufacturers decided to "do something" to improve the quality of their industry's products."

There ya go! Anything you own at home has a U/L (Underwriters Laboratory) rating, which means they tested it and it's safe to use. Think of SFI as the U/L for your car! Most sanctioning bodies recommend and/or require SFI rated equipment. Anything from gloves to bellhousings is tested by SFI. Hope that answers your question!

MICE need not apply.....

Old 12-30-2004, 06:22 PM   #14
Jeff Chambers

Yep, look in your NHRA or IHRA rule books and you should see a SFI quick chart. Those are the most basic requirements based on your ET/MPH (for drag racing). The number, for example SFI 6.1, refers to an actual specification that details the testing procedure and acceptance criteria for the item.

"SFI....don't go down the track without it."
CRT Performance

"There's nothing boring about a small block automatic shifting gears at 9400 rpm!"
Old 12-31-2004, 05:51 PM   #15
chatcher
Registered Member

ok looking at two billet flywheels one sfi app one not other than price im not sure what separates the two they look identical (from same manufacturer) does sfi app mean that particular one was sent some where and tested or was it made diff even though they have the same specs otherwise now my car will rarely if ever again go to the 1/4 it may see a local road course for a track day but it is deff not a race car i hate to sound cheap but will the non sfi fw pose any real risk for this senario
Old 01-01-2005, 08:31 AM   #16
Jeff Chambers

The manufacturers have to pay SFI to certify the product and for every sticker that they put on a product. Therefore, you'll find the same exact flywheel in both SFI and non-SFI form, with the SFI form being a little more expensive. The SFI form is more expensive since they're trying to recoup the costs associated with the certification, stickers and paperwork.
CRT Performance

Old 01-01-2005, 02:46 PM   #17
chatcher
Registered Member

so then it is correct for me to assume that a sfi app bfw and a non app bfw from the same manu are prob identical short of the paper work and sticker that i would have no use for anyways? sorry to keep beating you up about this
Old 01-01-2005, 05:09 PM   #18
Jeff Chambers

Yep, that's a pretty safe bet.
CRT Performance

Old 01-01-2005, 11:09 PM   #19
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

More than likely! A billet wheel is a billet wheel. One just comes with a certification is all. Maybe minor differences at best, but even the non-SFI billet wheel is a definite upgrade for you!

Has anyone else been getting SFI "credit cards" instead of the familiar sticker? My new balancer came with a card, has the balancer #'s and stuff on it. I'm guessing that SFI figured the card would last longer in the glove compartment, than the sticker does on the part. ???

MICE need not apply.....

Old 01-05-2005, 07:19 PM   #20
chatcher
Registered Member

well i just figured id let you all know i got my bfw today i orderd the non SFI piece and to my suprise when i opened it up there was a sticker that says SFI app 1.1 go figure