MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-01-2008, 06:42 PM   #1
proslow
Registered Member

Default 92 ho 5.0 questions

hey im new to the site and to the whole mustang scene. i got a 92 gt that is "suspose" to have some mods done to it. however some old lady pulled out in front of me and i pretty much totaled it out. so the motor is out of it and im swapping it into a 93 coupe. that was a 4cyl auto. i got a cam for it to give it a little thump. i went with the trickflow stage 1 cam 221/225 dur. and 499/510 lift. i know some stuff about cars mainly chevy. how are the pistons numbered on a ho 302 i know number one is on the passenger side first plug. is it 1357 on pass side. and 2468 on driver.

correct me if im wrong the fireing order is 13726548 for the ho.... its a roller motor so how am i suspose to adjust the rocker arms and lifters? flat filler gauage?

any help would be apreciated.
proslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 02:42 AM   #2
bourbon
Registered Member

Default Re: 92 ho 5.0 questions

yep you got the firing order right for a HO but your cylinder numbering is off. its the same for HO or non-HO. on pass side from the front its 1234. on the drivers side from the front its 5678.

the motors were originally a "roller cam" meaning it has hydraulic roller lifters that ride on the cam with a wheel. if you have the original rockers you just tighten them down to spec no adjustments required because they use hydraulic lifters.
bourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:26 PM   #3
proslow
Registered Member

ok i was told the motor is 30 over which is a 306 correct? had a little over stock cam, gt40 ported heads, ported upper and lower stock intake. dont really know if this stuff is done or not. they also said it has 373 posi which it does. and underdrive pullies. which it also has that. thanks for the info. ill probably have more questions. later with wireing. any other little mods to get these things moving?im also throwing some spray on it. probably about a 100 shot. im not really wanting to spend alot on this build im looking for another motor later on to build. maybe big block i have a 460 laying around.. any help would be apprecited
Old 03-05-2008, 01:22 AM   #4
bourbon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by proslow View Post
ported upper and lower stock intake.
that seems a little bizaar and thats the first time ive ever heard of that one. the porting is fine but i always thought the main problem with the stock intake is the inlet diameter. i forget how big it is but they make them much bigger on aftermarket intakes. but then you need a bigger throttle body and then a bigger EGR spacer and then a bigger mass air sensor (mine had to be programed for which injectors i was using). all of which gets pricey.

i do love my B&M shift kit with 3.73 gears though hehehe
Old 03-06-2008, 08:52 PM   #5
proslow
Registered Member

idk the motor has been apart for sure. i can tell by the gaskets. but in dont know whats been done to it. im not going to pull the heads off im leaveing them on. and just putting the cam in unless i have to take the heads off which i dont see y i would have to. then its off to get a computer chip and a tune at the local dyno shop. thanks for the help guys. any other cheap mods??
Old 03-07-2008, 10:28 AM   #6
proslow
Registered Member

also forgot to ask. when im putting the cam in how do i make sure the cam goes in right. is there dots in the timing chain? and where do the dots go cam dot 6 o clock and crank 12 o clock at tdc?
Old 03-07-2008, 01:35 PM   #7
bourbon
Registered Member

yes there are dots in the timing gears. usually people do what you said, put the dots closest to each other.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:18 PM   #8
3.8king
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by proslow View Post
idk the motor has been apart for sure. i can tell by the gaskets. but in dont know whats been done to it. im not going to pull the heads off im leaveing them on. and just putting the cam in unless i have to take the heads off which i dont see y i would have to. then its off to get a computer chip and a tune at the local dyno shop. thanks for the help guys. any other cheap mods??
if you have access to a drillpress bore the throttle bodyout down to the fly(front and back)you'll gain about 3hp&8lbs of torque
3.8king is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: