MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-27-2001, 02:41 AM   #1
92RedVert
Registered Member

Cool '92 LX convertible wiring puzzle

I've had my Red '92 for about 4 years and it was a theft recovery. The guys who stole it sliced through some wiring to cut out the stereo and bumpers, but I wired everything back in when I got the car back together.

The only thing that I didn't get working was the convertible top dashboard switch.

I got a schematic, but it was hard to trace the switch wiring back to the relays.

I hotwired the relays in the trunk and ran a switch to raise, and one to lower the top near the front seat, and I've been using them manually for years this way.

Here's the trick. I can follow the colors of the wires from the dashboard up/down switch to a connector under the steering column. There is a white plug-in connector hanging down next to the fuse panel. It has five wires going into it. Black, Gray, Purple/Org stripe, Blk/Yel stripe, Brn/Lt Blu stripe.

I've been to the Ford dealer's parts center 3 times over the last couple years (including last week) and they can't help me from their parts guides.

I'm not sure if this plug goes into a switching solenoid, or just into the harness somewhere.

I've checked the wiring harness many times, but I can't find another loose plug/socket to match the hanging one, and I couldn't find any solenoid or relay module to plug in.

I know that it's a relatively small thing because I have a work-around, but it would be really nice to have this puzzle solved for good.

I've looked at an '87 convertible, and my friend's '97 convertible, but both seem too different electrically to spot where mine is supposed to plug in, or spot any module.

Any help would be much appreaciated.

-Dean.
92RedVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2001, 06:41 AM   #2
PKRWUD

Dean-
The plug you are referring to is for the back window heat control relay. The plug for the switch should only have 4 wires, 3 of which control the top. The purple wire goes to the top up relay, the gray/light blue wire goes to the top down relay, and the black/yellow (accy fuse) wire goes to both relays.

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: JimPorterRacing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2001, 04:31 PM   #3
92RedVert
Registered Member

Cool

Thanks Chris!

But this leaves me with two considerations now. First, where does the heated window relay connection plug into, and what would you suspect the problem with the top switch being? Is there a fuse that is possibly blown? Is the top switch bad? I know that the relays are good because hotwiring them got the top to work, but I'm still stumped on how to get it to work from the switch.

-Dean.
Old 09-27-2001, 05:24 PM   #4
PKRWUD

The heated window relay connection would plug into a relay, but I believe that plug is only used in hard tops, and is left empty in 'verts. There should have been a 3 wire (purple, gray/lt. blue, black/yellow) harness that connected to the relays. Find them and check for continuity to the same colored wires in the plug at the back of the switch. If any are bad, correct them. If they are good, pull the switch and check it with a DMM.

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: JimPorterRacing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2001, 07:58 PM   #5
92RedVert
Registered Member

Cool

Thanks again Chris. I'll check it out.

-Dean.