MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-19-2002, 08:05 PM   #1
84LX89GT
Mustangs

Default 2 aftermarket intake manifold questions

In the next week i'm going to order an intake, here are my two questions to each one (Trick Flow street/Ford Motorsport Cobra):

1. I know the 70mm TB and spacer will fit the Trick flow intake, but will it fit the Motorsport Cobra without modification?

2. Which would be a better intake manifold for my combination?

I will be putting on 1 5/8" shorty headers w/ offroad H and Flowtech Stinger cat-back (2 1/2"), i have MSD ignition (coil, super conductor wires, cap, etc.), BBK cold air induction, Edelbrock 70mm throttle body, and Crane 1.7 roller rockers. I will also be adding a larger mass air flow sensor in a little while. What would you guys recommend?

Thanks,

Rick

1980 Ford Thunderbird - 255 V8
ported heads, 5.0L ported stock headers, O.R. H-pipe and Flowmaster 2-chambers, dual roller timing chain
hi-po Mack Truck hood emblem

1985 Mustang GT 5.0L T5, F-303, GT40p, headers, off-road h, flowmasters, MSD stuff, etc.

Sold 02/06/04
1989 Mustang GT ET: 13.304@102.29 mph (5-24-03)

Sold - 1998 Mustang Cobra coupe, 1/4 mile - street tires: 13.843@103.41 (bone stock)
84LX89GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 12:37 AM   #2
chris91LX
Registered Member

I personally don't like the Trick Flow intakes simply because I think they are ugly, they flow great numbers but I couldn't drive around with that thing being the most visible part of my motor. Whatever, anyway are you running the stock heads or do you have a set of heads already. An intake is not going to help much, if at all, until you get some better flowing heads. I picked up a used Cobra for like $200 and had a friend of mine port it and with edelbrock heads and a tfs stage 1 cam my combo produces 282rwhp and 315lbs or torque and that's without a tune. If you are set on getting a new intake and don't have heads go with the Cobra it'll work better with a stock combo and you can port it to support more than 400hp. (Plus it looks better) Just my.02

Oh yeah you can port the tb opening on the Cobra to match a 70mm tb really easy with a dremel or die grinder, I did it on my stock intake to match a 65mm tb. Take you about an hour.
125 shot - 12.04 @ 113 1.59 60'
chris91LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 01:42 AM   #3
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

Quote:
I personally don't like the Trick Flow intakes simply because I think they are ugly
I've seen you say that more than once lately. I personally had the street heat on my car and it looked great and everyone else thought so too. And you think the cobra looks better? Ha.

Quote:
I picked up a used Cobra for like $200 and had a friend of mine port it and with edelbrock heads and a tfs stage 1 cam my combo produces 282rwhp and 315lbs or torque and that's without a tune. If you are set on getting a new intake and don't have heads go with the Cobra it'll work better with a stock combo and you can port it to support more than 400hp.
You know if you had a holley you would probaly be at 305+rwhp.(Chris) IF YOU HAVE THE STOCK HEADS, AND HAVE NO PLANS FOR AFTERMARKET ONES, DO NOT BUY AN AFTERMARKET INTAKE!!! But if you have plans for heads, get the holley, right now it's the best of the best. And I don't know about your claim a cobra can be ported to support 400hp. Look at it this way, whatever you can port a cobra to, the holley will just be so much better. If you had to choose between the Trick Flow Street Heat vs. The Cobra, the Trick flow intake is much superior to the cobra.
1BAD89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 08:14 AM   #4
riceboyskiller
Registered Member

I have the trick unit on my car too and i think it looks great. It is far away from the dirty,rusted stocker.

I dont know why but since when do you buy intake just because it looks good. I bought mine because it is better than the cobra et it is cheaper too.
Old 02-20-2002, 10:33 AM   #5
drudis

Build your motor for a COMBO package. My opinon, the TFS is a wee bit too big for you.
I had the Cobra intake on mine and loved it. THen added an S-trim, and still liked it. Now adding TFS heads and TFS cam... gonna go with the TFS Street Heat intake too (and matching "ugly" valvecovers).
http://www.dariusrudis.com
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 11:09 AM   #6
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

damn you have you not read anyting on this site b4 you purchase

ok ill let you on a few little secrets

*if you dont plan on running aftermarket heads then sell you TB and use the stock on
*70mm tb is only good for motors with heads/intake/larger cams..if you try to use it on a stock motor you will loose down low and you wont be able to make it up top cuz the reast of the induction system wont benifet from it..belive me..i go mid 11's with a stock TB(high 12's on street tires off he juice)
*i would not use a 70mm TB on the cobra unless it was ported out..it wasnt meant to flow that much air IMO
*if you wanna go fast ten forget the intake for now and grab a set of heads(i had luck with the ederbrock 6037's or AFR 165's), and grab a b-303 w/ 1.7 RR and retain the stock intake but give the lower intake a good home porting and get ready to kill alot of cars with a very stock looking motor
*IMO i would never buy a set of shorties agina..go with long tubes...makes more power all around but is a little more of a pain to install(h-pipe is easier though with longtubes)

*i just tore a 70mmtb off my buddies car the other day(it came with one when he bought it) and put back on a stock one..car was much much more responsive and did not loose any up top..his only mods were ederbrock intake, exhaust, gears..in fact on the mid 11 car i spoke of up top it runs slower when we swapped on a 70mm TB..so if you tell us your budget we can point you in the right direction

You might want to hold on..i saw this on a cartoon once
LX XLR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 11:37 AM   #7
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

I agree that you're not going to benefit much from an aftermarket intake unless you're planning on heads in the future. You may pick up some horsepower, but it will be high up in the rpm band...and as others have said, you will probably experience a loss of bottom-end torque. It kinda depends on your future plans. If you plan on a set of good flowing heads later on, get the intake that will best match. If a set of GT40-P heads is in your future, then the Cobra intake will do just dandy.

A 70mm TB *may* be a bit large for your application as well. A 65 will likely make as much power and provide some extra torque and better throttle response on a fairly stock or even modified a motor. I've seen dyno runs that say 70 sucks and that 70 rocks. If you plan on heads in the future, I'd say it's just fine to keep it, especially if you're like me and can't keep throwing money at parts.

As far as the looks of the Trick Flow intake, I wouldn't touch the damned thing with a 10 foot stick. It, along with the Holley intake, are, in my humble opinion, ugly as your step mother's 85 year old grandmother's colostomy bag .

--nathan
'91 GT, Coast 347, 9.5:1 compression, full intake, Wolverine 1087 cam, exhaust, Keith Craft ported Windsor Jr. Irons (235 cfm intake, 195 cfm exhaust), AOD, PI 3500 converter, Lentech valve body, 3.73's (4.10's in the works), and Yokohama ES100's out back.

Daily Car: '04 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 07:14 PM   #8
chris91LX
Registered Member

Jeez, at least I have one guy who agrees with me. I never said the TFS intakes weren't good intakes, it's a matter of taste, and mine (good or bad) does not like the TFS, even though it outflows the Cobra. The price is awesome and was the main reason I considered it. I never said the Cobra was beautiful, but the used one i got was $279 cheaper than the Holley (which, while I like it, I think it is too big for my setup anyway) and isn't as ugly as the TFS. I'm not a guy that's into the whole "SHOW" thing but I do like a little show to match my go, so looks are a consideration.

Anyway, back to Rick's post. I agree with everyone else that if you aren't going to replace the heads don't bother with an intake, your wasting your $$. If you are and are on a limited budget then the 70mm is a good way to go, though a 65mm might do you better in the meantime. The best advice is to get a good isea of where you want to go with your combo and work toward it slowly. I bought everything I was going to need for a head, cam, intake combo before I made that major investment in January. There's alot of information on this and other boards you can research to help you make your decisions. Good Luck
chris91LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 10:56 PM   #9
MiracleMax
Registered Member

The aftermarket intakes feature more balanced airflow from runner to runner (way better than the FRPP stuff anyways). Even though the stock heads are a bottleneck, the better balance in airflow will free up some power across the RPM range (more than the increased airflow, this is where you probably see the gain from).

anywhosit get a plan together before you buy parts
MiracleMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 01:00 AM   #10
84LX89GT
Mustangs

[QUOTE]Originally posted by LX XLR8R
[B]damn you have you not read anyting on this site b4 you purchase

ok ill let you on a few little secrets

*if you dont plan on running aftermarket heads then sell you TB and use the stock on
*70mm tb is only good for motors with heads/intake/larger cams..if you try to use it on a stock motor you will loose down low and you wont be able to make it up top cuz the reast of the induction system wont benifet from it..belive me..i go mid 11's with a stock TB(high 12's on street tires off he juice)

----
I bought this car with all the mods it has now including the 70mm throttle body and don't have the stock one. I plan on eventually getting a supercharger (not quite sure on exactly what i want yet). For right now i'm not going to touch the block except for getting a windage tray, new timing chain/gears (stock replacement) and the intake manifold has a leak and since i'm going to pull it off anyway i wanted a good street intake that i can build up to. I rather would have a 65mm throttle body, but i don't want to spend my money on that right now.
The whole reason i decided to buy this stuff now is because i have to pull the engine anyway and reseal the oil pan and intake manifold.
I fully realize that the exhaust and intake may be a bit much for the engine right now and the addition of a supercharger (leaning towards a roots type) should help make that less of a factor and when i'm ready monetary wise i'm going to build an all out engine with expensive heads, etc. but for now i can't afford that (in school).
.....oh i also forgot to add initially that i have 3.55 gears so i'm usually at 2000 plus RPM most of the time.

Thanks for all the replies

ported heads, 5.0L ported stock headers, O.R. H-pipe and Flowmaster 2-chambers, dual roller timing chain

1985 Mustang GT 5.0L T5, F-303, GT40p, headers, off-road h, flowmasters, MSD stuff, etc.

Sold 02/06/04

Sold - 1998 Mustang Cobra coupe, 1/4 mile - street tires: 13.843@103.41 (bone stock)
Old 02-21-2002, 02:51 AM   #11
Mach 1
Registered Member

First of all, the Cobra intake does have a 70MM opening, and second of all, I say go for it. Dont expect miracles, but an upgraded intake is a nice stepping stone, and you should see some improvement. Dont listen to all the negativeity here and all the "experts". Do what you want.
RHC member #142
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 07:36 PM   #12
84LX89GT
Mustangs

Thank you for answering my main question Mach 1, i'm not expecting a whole lot, but i might as well do it now since for once i have the money and am going to pull it anyways. thanks again,

Rick

Sold 02/06/04