MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-25-2002, 10:01 AM   #1
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Question 94-95GT's: Cobra intake ONLY??

While I was getting my gears installed at Lonestar Performance (they did a great job by the way) I was talking to the guys behind the counter about intake manifolds and the guy said that on the 94-95GT's that the ONLY intake to use was the GT40/Cobra intake. He said that the computer didn't like any other intakes.

Aside from just saying the everyone else is running Edelbrock or TFS or Holley and they are OK. Is there a technical reason for this? I mean is the EGR set up different or something. I was thinking going with a TFS Street Heat or Track heat (that's a whole different issue ) and he shot it down.

Just curious if anyone has an idea or has heard this before.

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 01:09 PM   #2
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

The 94-95 computer just sucks in general.

They must not carry the other intakes and just want to sell you the Cobra or something. I don't see any reason why the computer wouldn't "like" any other intake.
Old 01-25-2002, 05:05 PM   #3
cad614

I kinda noticed the guys seemed to be feeding me a line of bs while I was there too, but I don't recall what it was about. I'm guessing that they are just trying to push the products they carry, but then again they may not know what they're talking about. Maybe Nicole (Girlscan2) can shed some more light on this topic... she works there!

'95 GT Convertible
cad614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 03:05 AM   #4
TEXSN95
Registered Member

Yup...they're full of chit.
White 95 Cobra #3637
64cc GT40X heads with mild porting, Crane 2031 cam, FRPP 65 TB, 1.7s, Cobra intake, homeade cold air, 155lph, pullies, Tokico Illuminas, C springs, GW LCAs, Kenny Brown super subs, Steeda CC plates, aluminum driveshaft, Steeda quadrant, B&M ripper, Kirban FPR, MSD6A, Taylor wires, Mac shorties, off road hpipe, 2 1/2 ultra flows w/ dumps, R hood, Euro clear corners, stock 3.08s
13.61 @ 105.7 w/ 2.22 <-- 284 rwhp / 323 rwtq
TEXSN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 04:30 AM   #5
Girls can too
Registered Member

Wow. First of all 95mustanggt I'm glad you're pleased with the gear install. That's one thing I stand behind up there, no questions asked. I'm not going to go into much detail until I talk to the guys up front to see who you spoke with. Can you give me a date? (We just let someone go)

Being an enthusiast first and foremost, I know first hand how shops definitely "up sell" what they stock. We do not carry Trick Flow products (Altho they're all under my hood) so as crappy as it may seem. It's definitely a possiblity.

However, they are very knowlegable and respected highly for it. Yes, there's the occassional thing that slips by, but I was a customer years before an employee. I've seen it all. I will also say from personal experience, I have the Track Heat, and altho great for #'s, it's a little annoying for daily use. (bucking issues)

I will definitely find out what happened, a contact name would help greatly. 'kay? Good luck to you and I hope that you get exactly what YOU want...not what someone else THINKS you should have.

550 HP Blown & Beautiful GT
www.NicandBob.com
Girls can too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 08:58 PM   #6
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Well, first of all the guys there were really knowledgable and very friendly. They did do a super job on the gears.

I was just in on Thursday morning and was just asking about TFS product (I didn't know you guys did not carry that product line at the time).

The guy behind the counter was very nice, but he HIGHLY recommended going with ONLY the Ford Cobra intake. It just sounds weird to me. I thought maybe someone here knew of a technical reason. I do know how screwy the 94-95 computers are. But a quick glance at any of the 94-95 cars on here show that a lot of intakes besides the Cobra will work well. He did say that heads did not have to be ford heads?

No big deal, just curious.

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote