MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-07-2001, 08:30 AM   #1
Brian Browning
Registered Member

Post Fan Pulley Stuck?

Hi everybody,
I just swapped out my radiator for a 3 row version. Unfortunately, this made the fan too close to the radiator. It had a big ole' honkin' spacer on it. So, last night I pulled the radiator back out and tried to remove the pulley off the front of the water pump. It doesn't want to come off. Is there anything besides the fan bolts that hold the pulley on? I can't see or feel anything, but figured I'd come in this morning and ask before I tore something up (for once). Anybody have any hot tips for taking this thing off without wrecking the pulley or water pump? Thanks in advance.

------------------
65 convertible
'66 289 Hi Po motor, 351 heads, headers, duals, shelby intake, petronix,
4 speed top loader, 389 rear, road demon
Brian Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2001, 06:17 PM   #2
Rev
Registered Member

It's just a tight fit of the spacer or the pulley pilot hole to the pilot knob on the water pump. Take a soft (plastic) mallet and give it a medium whack. It should come right off. BTW, why didn't you go for the 4 row? Just curious?

Rev

------------------
'66 Coupe, 306, 300 HP, C-4, 13.97 e.t., 100.3 mph
1/4 mi.

[This message has been edited by Rev (edited 08-07-2001).]
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2001, 07:37 PM   #3
Gearhead999
Registered Member

It is just stuck on with rust and age. Give it a rap and it should come off.
Gearhead999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2001, 07:26 AM   #4
Brian Browning
Registered Member

Thanks guys I got it off last night. Soaked it down with penetrating oil when I couldn't get it off the night before last. Let it set overnight and all day yesterday when I was at work and whacked it last night and it came off (still not easily). I was just scared to hit it too hard. I've broke so many things like that, when there would be a keeper screw or something holding it on. I'm kind of proud that I had the willpower to wait and ask when it didn't come off easily the other night.

Rev,
When I was shopping around I saw something somewhere that said a 4 row was getting to be overkill because its a tradeoff between geting a lot of water through the radiator vs. how easily the air goes through. They said a 3 would work. Whether that is true or not, I don't know. But hey, this 3 row has got to work better than that little v6 radiator that was on it. It gets really hot in South MS in August!!!

Brian Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2001, 12:55 PM   #5
induction
The Brit!

Talking

I think the three row is better, ya se the tubes on " some" units get smaller as the add rows.ie. the four row is the same size as the three evev though it may look larger in mass. The volumetric flow is decreased {due to the small diameter via the core} thus , higher psi & air flow is needed for the same overall effect; less the addition of the time\area\temp avilabel

------------------
Restored 1965 Coupe
April Mare of the Month
induction is offline   Reply With Quote