MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-07-2006, 09:30 AM   #1
Clayton
Registered Member

Unhappy 95 GT will crank but wont start ...dam

My 95 GT will not start!! I changed the coil, fuel filter, cap and rotor, and check the timing and tapped on the maf sensor. where can i get a code tester for EEC IV. also on the 95GT is the MAP Sensor a cylindrical unit on the passenger side of the firewall with a vacuum hose coming from the intake and pluging into it and exiting to who knows where, never investagated it ....yet.

Can somebody please help or give some advice on what it may be!

thanks
Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 06:37 PM   #2
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Default Re: 95 GT will crank but wont start ...dam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton
My 95 GT will not start!! I changed the coil, fuel filter, cap and rotor, and check the timing and tapped on the maf sensor. where can i get a code tester for EEC IV. also on the 95GT is the MAP Sensor a cylindrical unit on the passenger side of the firewall with a vacuum hose coming from the intake and pluging into it and exiting to who knows where, never investagated it ....yet.

Can somebody please help or give some advice on what it may be!

thanks
There are actually very few issues which can cause a no-start condition compared to a poor run condition. Most of the sensors do not contribute to starting.

It's still fuel, air, compression, spark. One of those items is missing. Due to the fact you have a V-8, it's unlikely that all cylinders would experience a sudden, massive drop in compression across the boards.

That leaves fuel, air and spark. It's a very good bet that air is getting into the cylinders.. but in the necessary volume? Probably. Like I said, very few sensors actually do a whole lot for starting procedures, and the sensors that do have to do with calculating fuel to inject rather than controlling the actual amount of air entering the engine.

So fuel and spark. Do you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key to the "run" position? Not all the way to start, but just to run. It should prime for a second or two, which is indicated by a relatively high pitched whirring sound originating from under the back of the car (fuel tank).

Spark. You've replaced the coil, which was a guess. Do you have spark? Is the spark strong? Pull the number one cylinder spark plug, and have an assistant ground the plug against a clean engine bracket. The spark should be bright and blue to blueish purple. Faulty plugs or plug wires along with a worn or encrusted cap and rotor can definitely contribute to a no-start condition, and they're cheap/easy to replace. If you have good spark, it's likely you have a fuel problem. You actually have a very wide range of timing for the engine to start. It's probably up to about 20* total. It might run like crap, but it should start.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 09:27 AM   #3
bigwhitecobra
Huh? Whatcha said?

I would check the fuel filter. Along with what Unit said. That should be a good start.(no pun intended)
Old 02-08-2006, 01:27 PM   #4
I8URVTEC
Registered Member

Could it be the ignition module? I know my '91 needed to have that replaced a few times. It's pretty easy and I changed it in like 10 minutes but if that goes the engine won't start. Also, here is a way to possibly pull those engine codes using just a testlight:
http://www.troublecodes.net/Ford/

2005 GT
JLT CAI, Bassani cats, x-pipe and axle back, custom SCT tune, deep dish 18" wheels, Nitto 555 tires: 299.1 rwhp / 323.7 rwtq

1991 5.0L LX Notch
Currently restomodding
I8URVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 06:57 PM   #5
Phillyfanfrombirth
Registered Member

They would be able to test that at your local parts house... It sure as heck wouldn't hurt to have it checked out.
Phillyfanfrombirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 08:55 PM   #6
redsn95vert
Registered Member

The tester is only a few bucks, and plugs into the harness on the passenger side on the back of the strut tower. You can run both the key on engine off and the key on engine on test. Did you check for fuel at the fuel rail, you may want to try some starting fluid too.
95 GT convertable, ported+polished GT40 heads, port matched upper and lower Cobra intake manifold, Flowthech headers, Catco hi-flow h-pipe with 2 hi-flow cats, Mac true fit catback exhaust, 3.73 gears, underdrive pullies, Edelbrock 70mm throttle body, Mac cold air intake, FMS 24lb injectors, Granatelli 75mm mass air
redsn95vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 08:58 AM   #7
mpj76
Registered Member

Prime the system with the key a bunch of times without trying to start. Pull a plug and smell it. Should have a strong gas odor.
91 Coupe: FMS 1 5/8 unqual shorty's, BBK off road X-pipe, Super Duty T5, Pro 5.0 short shifter, 2.73 rear, G3 alt, MSD coil, dist, no smog pump, oil cooler, 195K miles, 14 deg timing, 23 mpg city/29 mpg highway @ 65 mph.
mpj76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 08:36 AM   #8
Clayton
Registered Member

Thanks Fellow GTers,
I found the problem it was the fuel pump, i was in denile about it being the fuel pump, UNIT 5305 you are right (Suck,Bang,Blow) but if the Maf is unpluged or not working this 95gt will not start.

and to answer the questions,
1.Yes there was fuel in fuel rail, checked the shrader valve
2. Fuel filter was change and i checked that unit said
3. had spark
4. sprayed starting fluid and it cranked up and shut off (thats when i knew it was fuel pump)
5.dam

Thanks for everybody time and advice it was greatly appreciated!!
Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: