MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-07-2002, 04:59 PM   #1
venumus93
Registered Member

Default ? about if need Clutch Quadrant

Hello all..

I'm going to help a friend install a Centerforce 2 Clutch in his 1990 LX 5.0 'vert this weekend. He is wondering if he needs a new cable & quadrant with this type clutch. The guy at Summit said they're supposed to tell you 'yes', but said he may be abel to get by for a few months b4 having to get the new cable & quadrant. My friend wants to wait on the cable/quadrant install as he said it looks like a real PITA!(any input on installing one one these would be appreciated too!)
His car is a stock daily driver with less than 70K miles on it, but the clutch is slipping bad now, so the clutch has to get done.
Thanks for any help/advice!
Later!

Sean
venumus93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 06:14 PM   #2
84LX89GT
Mustangs

I put my clutch quadrant/cable in, in about 10 minutes. I can tell you it give 100% better feel. It's now easy to put the car in 1st and reverse (no slight grinding putting into reverse anymore) and adjustment is insanely easy. Take off the cover to the trans, loosen a jam nut and adjust. Recheck adjustment. That's all there is to re-adjusting it later.
As for installing it. You just need a good light, a 90* hook pick or just a pocket screwdriver and you can easily pull out the clips that hold it in place and it's easier to put the new one in. the hardest part i guess is pulling out the old quadrant, which is still easy.
Good luck, if i were him i'd get it now....why wait till later?

1980 Ford Thunderbird - 255 V8
ported heads, 5.0L ported stock headers, O.R. H-pipe and Flowmaster 2-chambers, dual roller timing chain
hi-po Mack Truck hood emblem

1985 Mustang GT 5.0L T5, F-303, GT40p, headers, off-road h, flowmasters, MSD stuff, etc.

Sold 02/06/04
1989 Mustang GT ET: 13.304@102.29 mph (5-24-03)

Sold - 1998 Mustang Cobra coupe, 1/4 mile - street tires: 13.843@103.41 (bone stock)
84LX89GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 08:38 AM   #3
venumus93
Registered Member

Thanks 84!

How hard was it removing the old one though? The Haynes instructions say to basically take out the dash, drop the steering column, disconnect the brake pedal, etc & it sounds like a real PITA! Let me know if any shortcuts so I can help my friend out...

Any others out there that have done this????

Later!

Sean
Old 08-08-2002, 12:09 PM   #4
chris91LX
Registered Member

You can reach up under the dash and remove the old quadrant. I didn't remove anything dashboard wise to replace my quadrant. I think it's a bit more of a PITA than 84LX89GT though. The quadrant is up under the dash above the gas pedal. The big part comes out real easy, it's the small back piece thats the PITA, you have to pry the spring off the end of the spindle thing it rides on and mess with the pedal in order to remove it. Alot of people just smash the plastic into pieces to get it out usually after messing with it for awhile (good therapy). Good luck, though IMO the Summit guys aren't really all that knowledgeable most of the time. You don't need a new quadrant or cable unless there's something wrong with the original. If you do keep the factory quadrant it has to be "reset" with a new clutch though, just so you know.
125 shot - 12.04 @ 113 1.59 60'
chris91LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 04:37 PM   #5
84LX89GT
Mustangs

You don't really have to remove a whole lot except for the clips and springs, but once you get the clips off it'll basically fall apart. At least it did that for me. The first thing i did was disconnected the clutch cable, then i was able to move the pedal and quadrant around to whatever position i wanted. I guess i must have been lucky or something because i have heard some people have trouble with that. It literally took me 10 minutes to replace the actual quadrant, 5 minutes to install a new cable and probably another 5 to adjust the clutch. Whatever you decide to do, good luck!

1980 Ford Thunderbird - 255 V8
ported heads, 5.0L ported stock headers, O.R. H-pipe and Flowmaster 2-chambers, dual roller timing chain
hi-po Mack Truck hood emblem

1985 Mustang GT 5.0L T5, F-303, GT40p, headers, off-road h, flowmasters, MSD stuff, etc.

Sold 02/06/04
1989 Mustang GT ET: 13.304@102.29 mph (5-24-03)

Sold - 1998 Mustang Cobra coupe, 1/4 mile - street tires: 13.843@103.41 (bone stock)
84LX89GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 04:40 PM   #6
venumus93
Registered Member

Default thanks from a Cub fan!

Quote:
Originally posted by chris91LX
You can reach up under the dash and remove the old quadrant. I didn't remove anything dashboard wise to replace my quadrant. I think it's a bit more of a PITA than 84LX89GT though. The quadrant is up under the dash above the gas pedal. The big part comes out real easy, it's the small back piece thats the PITA, you have to pry the spring off the end of the spindle thing it rides on and mess with the pedal in order to remove it. Alot of people just smash the plastic into pieces to get it out usually after messing with it for awhile (good therapy). Good luck, though IMO the Summit guys aren't really all that knowledgeable most of the time. You don't need a new quadrant or cable unless there's something wrong with the original. If you do keep the factory quadrant it has to be "reset" with a new clutch though, just so you know.
Thanks Chris91LX! We'll figure this thing out once & for all! To 'reset' the quadrant, is that just part of setting it up right when installing the new clutch & attaching the cable to it?
Thanks again for your help! btw, my parents are from Chi-town, Dad a Sox fan, Mom a Cub fan(me too), & granny still lives in Norridge(5min from OHare), so thanks to a family neighbor!
Old 08-08-2002, 04:56 PM   #7
chris91LX
Registered Member

Default Re: thanks from a Cub fan!

Quote:
Originally posted by venumus93
btw, my parents are from Chi-town, Dad a Sox fan, Mom a Cub fan(me too)
At least your Dad has some good sense.
The factory quadrant is 2 pieces that are connected like two plastic gears, as the clutch wears the quadrant adjusts to keep the pedal adjustment about the same. When you put in a new clutch you have to reset the quadrant back to the way it began to have the right pedal adjustment. The plastic teeth have a tendency to wear out after a while which is why people go to an aftermarket quadrant. You can get a firewall adjuster or an adjustable cable that allows you to adjust the pedal for your taste. Good luck
125 shot - 12.04 @ 113 1.59 60'
chris91LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 11:08 PM   #8
skiwesser
Registered Member

Default Re: ? about if need Clutch Quadrant

The small piece is the locking pawl and it takes up for clutch wear, when I changed my clutch I left the cable and Quadrant, at first the clutch didn't engage unti the pedal was way too high, mine finally popped into place while driving but ive been told to readjust the pawl just mash the clutch pedal to the floor and sidestep it a few times and it'll pop back to correct position, car not running ofcourse
skiwesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 08:30 AM   #9
USMC302
Registered Member

Ski, that thread is 5 years old.....
Old 04-08-2007, 09:01 PM   #10
skiwesser
Registered Member

Am I correct about the resetting of the stock system USMC302?

I may be putting in a new quadrant and good cable in soon, as my $25 autozone cable is already stretching, 4 weeks old, the stocker sure lasted forever.

Should I change the Quad if it's not broke or just get a new cable?
The cable is easy to change, but I'm not looking forward to changing the quadrant!

Do you prefer the firewall adjuster or the cable w/adjustment at tranny?
Thanks Man
88 GT: subs,pullies, 1 3/4 longtubes, flowmasters, AFR 165's,T,F #1 cam,Thyphoon intake, 24# inj., 73mm C&L,65mmT.B., 190LPH pump, Eagle sir rods, forged pistons in a newly rebuilt 306.

DYNO TUNED TO 300.97 RWHP 337RWTQ
skiwesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 02:39 PM   #11
USMC302
Registered Member

Your correct about the adjustment for a stock quadrant, the stock ones are made out of plastic so they will eventually wear and not adjust as well and not hold adjustment etc.. It's good to just throw in a quality quadrant with the cable, I think it's cheaper as a package deal anyway. As far as preference, I have only used the adjustable cables that adjust at the tranny, but think the firewall adjuster would be an easy and quick alternative. Good luck either way.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: