MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-25-2002, 09:59 PM   #1
chris91LX
Registered Member

Angry Clutch quadrant problems, bad.

I put in a new quadrant, firewall adjuster and a new cable a while back and have been having a problem with the clutch not fully disengaging ever since. I've adjusted the adjuster every way I know how and because of this problem I actually shredded the splines that the synchros go in on second gear in my T5. I replaced the clutch, clutch fork, pilot bearing and throwout bearing and the problem persisted. I just had the tranny rebuilt and i still have the same problem. Anybody have any ideas on how I can check the adjustment? Has anyone else ever had this problem? I don't want to trash another trans. I put spacers on the quadrant to make sure it lined up with the cable too. I'm out of ideas. Anything that can help I'd appreciate. TIA
chris91LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 10:25 PM   #2
Coupe5oh
Registered Member

I have heard of people installing them backwards? but my D&D has been great, i did however, have to back out the firewall adjuster almost all the way out to get the slop out of the pedal, i cant think of anything but your clutch might just be worn? dunno....
Police package 5spd 90 Lx, Stock original motor, 3.27grs, BM fan, fms 10.5 clutch, D&D quadrant, and adjuster, ADS chip, 180 stat, mac cai, mac h-pipe, mac subframe connectors, ASP crank pulley, ripper shifter, 26x10.5 M/T sport pros welds. 246 hp according to analyzer
Race weight: 3,120

E.t-13.57 with 26x10.50's e.t. streets. 1.88 60'

mph- 99.92 mph
Coupe5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 07:58 AM   #3
chris91LX
Registered Member

Nope it's in right, and the clutch has been replaced. There has to be something wrong with how I'm adjusting it or something like that. I don't know if there's any way to check the adjustment, like if it's too tight and the tines of the pressure plate are actually pressing against the clutch and keeping it engaged or something like that. I'm pretty much stumped and I don't want to replace the clutch and rebuild the trans again because of this problem.
Old 06-26-2002, 01:01 PM   #4
explicitone
Registered Member

I had that prob.
with a cable I had it turned out that the cable for what ever reason was streached from the start. have you tried a diff cable?

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
explicitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 01:51 PM   #5
chris91LX
Registered Member

Thanks, yeah as a matter of fact I ordered one today (my 3rd). I got some advice from the Summit tech line I might try out too. Gotta see if I can adjust the clutch (not sure if I can even measure it) to btween .030 and .040 inches between the clutch and the flywheel when the clutch is depressed. They said I also might need to put in a clutch stop, weld a plate to the back of the pedal so I don't mash it too far. Either that or I just need to do alot of experimenting with adjustments. The problem is I only have the problem at high rpm, like 5500-5800rpm, and when it isn't right I'm messing up the synchros with the grinding If anyone else has any ideas let me know. Thanks again guys
Old 06-26-2002, 01:56 PM   #6
explicitone
Registered Member

dont feel bad Im on my 4th cable

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
explicitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 02:32 PM   #7
shadowblue89
Registered Member

I had the same problem and found an easy cure that was free.
The plastic portion of the clutch cable that sits inside the firewall adjuster was too long and I shortened it by using a dremel with a cutting disc on it. This allowed the whole portion of the cable to sit inside the adjuster to where the largest diameter of the firewall adj. and the cable were butted up against each other. This is the best I could explain it. I can try and get some pics if you need.

Also check the houseing your throwout bearing rides on. They tend to get cut into from the throwout bearing and the bearing could be getting hung up on it. Summit sells one that is made of steal which will fix this problem. If this is whats wrong on your car.

89 GT 5spd
shadowblue89 is offline   Reply With Quote