MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-21-2001, 02:49 AM   #1
88gtstang
Registered Member

Post adjustable clutch

has anyone ever used the summit racing adjustable clutch and quadrant.and if so how much trouble is it to install.my 88 gt is hard to get in reverse,seems to be a streched cable.though i would replace quadrant and cable.if anyone has a better idea,let me know. thanks
88gtstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2001, 05:15 AM   #2
Old Guy with 87 GT
Registered Member

just got done putting adjustable clutch cable in mine ......pain in the but....i took the front seat out after an hour of messing with it.....back just couldn't take it ....that helped........i used a couple of long screwdrivers and a long pair of needle nose pliers....getting the smaller plastic thing that adjusts the main quatrant was the toughest...once you get the spring off that holds it on if you pull pedal all the way up you can pry it off. but getting that spring off is pain...i just used the longer screwdrivers and kept working at it.......once you get old parts off its a snap....if you can get a long pair of needle nose pliers or a real big pair of hemostats it will help....as for how much adjustable clutch helped don't know yet still waiting to get trans back from shop...getting it rebuilt......well good luck
Old Guy with 87 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2001, 09:15 AM   #3
jimberg
Registered Member

Did you recently put in a new clutch or something?

If your cable is really stretched, some guy sent in a suggestion for this in the July issue of 5.0M&SF.

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2001, 01:50 PM   #4
88gtstang
Registered Member

no i haven't put in a new clutch,but i think it won't be to long.you have to push the pedal all the way down in the carpet to get it to shift.seems like cable is strecthed.car has 151000 miles on it i think it may still have original clutch
Old 05-21-2001, 02:42 PM   #5
jimberg
Registered Member

Your quadrant may be broken, but here's some info and what you should check. As a clutch wears out, the cable gets tighter. The self-adjusting clutch mechanism is designed to give a little slack when it gets to tight and you should hear a click when it's doing it. There's basically an awl in a ratchet on the quadrant. If it's too loose, that means that either the cable has stretched ( I doubt it could stretch that much. It's made of steel), the quadrant or cable is broken, or the quadrant wasn't reset when the clutch was replaced. I really doubt that a Mustang has the original clutch after 151k miles.

Crawl under the dash with a flashlight and look at the quadrant and see where the awl is positioned. Figure out which side of the gear is the tightest end and which side is the loosest end and use your finger to disengage the ratchet to move it to the tight end. Push the pedal in slowly. It should probably click a few times on the way down. When it comes back up, it should be set right.

They always said something about pulling up on the clutch pedal with your toe and then pushing it down slowly. Maybe this will do the same thing. Try that first since it's easier. If that doesn't work, crawl under the dash like in the previous instructions.

You may just find that the awl is broken or something. If that's the case, get a new, adjustable quadrant.

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2001, 11:43 PM   #6
88gtstang
Registered Member

hey jimberg,
thanks for the info,i have tried the hook toe on the pedal thing with no help.i will try getting under the dash next weekend,it has been raining here for about 3 days on and off.i bought the car with 80,000 miles on it,and i haven't put a clutch in it yet.i still drive it everyday,just had to shift sometimes. thanks
Old 05-22-2001, 05:50 AM   #7
Old Guy with 87 GT
Registered Member

now the reason i changed mine was self adjuster wasnt working right.my clutch had been changed by previos owner.dont know if new clutch made differance or if adjuster springs just wore out .when i pulled petal up adjuster would improperly adjust clutch.tried resetting it didnt help.what i was having to do was reach up under dash and setting quatrant where it would pull more cable.this worked intill i bumped petal and it adjusted it self agian.got tired of reaching under dash to set it.for a quick fix all you have to do is reach up and push up on ratcheting quatrant and push petal in about an inch.then hold quatrant where its at (its stiff hard to hold)and let pedal com back to rest .it should click few times .make sure when pedal comes back to rest it dosnt come back far enough to reset self adjust or it will just reset itself where it was.two clicks is what worked for me ...gave me plenty of clutch.....till it reset it self agian

------------------
old guy with 87 gt....well not so old guy
Old Guy with 87 GT is offline   Reply With Quote