MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Windsor Power (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Adjusting fuel pressure on new fuel system (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=47245)

82 GT 10-19-2005 10:10 PM

Adjusting fuel pressure on new fuel system

I just finished my new fuel system with -8AN from the sump to the regulator and -6AN from regulator to carb. I also have a Holley blue with regulator.
The instructions with the regulator says it's factory set at 14psi, which is too much for me.
How much should I turn the adjustment screw back before I fire the engine.....1/2 turn...full turn? I want it at around 6psi for now.

Ieatcamaros 10-20-2005 04:11 AM

Re: Adjusting fuel pressure on new fuel system

Just put a gauge on it then you have no worries. If you don't have one, an old mechanical oil pressure gauge will get you close enough.

~The Jester~ 10-20-2005 05:40 AM

Loosen the lock nut on the adjuster, then back out the adjuster itself, most of the way. That'll get you around 0-1 psi. Fire up the pump, run the adjuster in until you get your 6 psi, then set the lock nut. Presto! ;)

So we're close to firing then???? I can't wait!!!! Keep us posted bro!

82 GT 10-20-2005 06:46 AM

Should be ready to fire up tonight after work. All I need to do is put some fuel in the tank. I could have done it last night but I wasn't sure about the regulator situation and wanted to do it during daylight to better check for any leaks.
I'll keep you posted. Bill, you probably just as excited as I am ...huh? :D

~The Jester~ 10-20-2005 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 82 GT
Bill, you probably just as excited as I am ...huh? :D

You betcha! When ya headed to the track?

82 GT 10-20-2005 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~The Jester~
You betcha! When ya headed to the track?

That depends if there are any leaks or problems. With my luck, I'm sure to have problems.
I'm heading out to the garge now to fill her up and fire her up!
Tune in later on for the results!

82 GT 10-20-2005 06:15 PM

I got it started up tonight! There were no leaks at all! That holley pump is noisy as hell! I hear it over the exhaust inside the car!
We're talkin 2.5 exhaust with single chamber flowmasters!
I set pressure at 6psi, let it warm up a little and then noticed it dropped to 4psi. I turned it back up to 6 again and it dropped again!
Did the same thing all over again until it stayed at 6psi.
I went to turn the idle speed down just a tad and it make a noise almost like a detonation ping. When it turned it back up, it went away. What was that pinging sound? Is it going to want a certain idle speed now? I didn't notice what the rpms were at though.

One thing that I will HAVE to figure out later on is why my fuel gauge doesn't work anymore. I made sure I plugged the original sending unit back into the tank when I put the tank up. I checked the fuses and they're all good. I don't know but I need a gauge!
A test drive is going to have to wait until tomorrow or the weekend.