MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-20-2005, 06:15 PM   #1
eddielugnutz
Registered Member

Default Help needed on buying a 351W shortblock.

Ok, So I went to a Ford dealer just for fun to go check out a price for a 351 shortblock. I've been looking at prices, and I see most places want about 1,300$ for a stock 5.0 shortblock,and about 1,700$ for a 351, I went to a few engine rebuilders, same deal and I don't trust them, I had bad experiences. So this dealer tells me 1,700$ for a 5.0, and 2,300$ for a 351, I laughed at the guy, he was perplexed so I showed him the prices of other places and he agreed he wanted a bit much.
I told him I was willing to pay no more than 1,000$ cash for a 5.0 shortblock and they refused. Then they told me they'd be willing to let a 351W shortblock go for 1,300$, I told them I'd be back after some research. Do you think this is a good deal? I don't think I could get one much cheaper. Even if I found a place with a cheaper price of lets say 1,000$ for the 351, it would still need to be shipped, so add on at least 110$ shipping, then tax because I can't pay cash to some place a state away and that's another 100$ or so, then if something is wrong with the motor I'd have to pay for shipping back, at least with this dealer there is no tax, no shipping,and if there is a problem I can take the motor back myself, right? I think it's a great deal, but I need someone elses opinions.

They say it's a 91 motor from a full size pickup, and that it is also used in a crown vic police package.they said it's all they got and I could try another dealer for a newer year like 93 or 95, but if there is no major difference then I'd be happy with this one, but I've heard that in 93 ford went to use the hypereutectic pistons, and that they do not handle power adders or drag racing well , So if I have a 91 motor, do you think they have forged pistons or cast? or was that only applicable to the mustang HO and all the truck motors used cast pistons?

Do you think it really matters if it is cast or forged If I'm only planning on making 350RWHP? I heard that the cast pistons will do fine in a normally aspirated motor below 400Hp.

I appreciate all your help.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:04 PM   #2
eddielugnutz
Registered Member

Default Re: Help needed on buying a 351W shortblock.

I also forgot to ask about the compression, I hear that all these truck, non Lightening 351 motors have 8.5:1 in stock form? I was planning on using Trick Flow twisted wedge heads, E303 cam with 1.7 rockers, Trick flow intake, 24lb injectors, 75 mm Tb 77MM Maf, long tube headers, a ECM tune and all the other necessaries, high flo pump and afpr, But if the motor has cast 8.5:1 pistons, will this severly hurt my goal of 350RWHP? Sounds like I'd be just putting a lot of good parts on a crappy lower end, what pistons do you guys think will work well with the above mentioned list of parts, I'm not greedy, I'm setting a goal of 350RWHP, if I make a little less that's fine, but do you think this motor will be capable if it only has 8.5:1? Even if the heads have 61cc combustion chambers, and stock head has 65, that will only bring up compression a .1 or so am I right?

Maybe I'd be better off with the less compression if I can still make decent power around my intended goal (350RWHP) I mean, if the motor makes less compression then it requires less fuel octane demands, less detonation and runs cooler right? so maybe I can at least make 300-350RWHP and have a more reliable engine? Feel free to make fun of me if this is not making any sense! I'm a newbie, I have stupid ideas sometimes. Even if I only make 300RWHP, I can still potentially see 12's with all my suspension and weight mods right? (I am working on a 3100lb track weight) I'm not greedy.

I know, I know, I should dump the money and get better pistons.