MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-13-2001, 02:36 AM   #1
93SVTstang
Registered Member

Post timing advance

I am looking to advance the timing on my Cobra. Somebody told me I should go to 14 degrees advance, is it possible to go higher, like 16 degrees or so? I have a friend who is going to help me with it, since I have never done it before. How far can I go without it detonating? Also, will I notice an increase in hp from this? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Beau

------------------
93SVTstang-93 Cobra: 80mm MAF, K&N, 8mm plug wires, shorty headers, off road h-pipe, Borla Cat-back, centerforce clutch, hurst shifter, 3:55s
93SVTstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2001, 07:01 AM   #2
bcinyuz
Registered Member

To tell you the truth you cant get the best of both world by just advancing your base timming. Because by advancing your base timming your creating a couple of thing. 1-you get a quicker start off the line but you suffer at high rpms. 2-you run the risk of your engine pinging or pre-detonation. If your going to do it anyway my advice to you is to bump the timming 2 degrees until you hear your engine ping then back off 2 degrees. Hope this helps you out.

[This message has been edited by bcinyuz (edited 01-13-2001).]
bcinyuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2001, 10:51 AM   #3
88GT5.013.02

What's up 93SVTstang? I am the one who told you to bump the timing to 14 degrees. I just put out a number that would be safe on your car. My stock car took 17-18 degrees of timing, but I think that was due to a little slop in the timing chain.

I'm sure you already run 93-94 octane already right? If not then you will have to run high octane or you will ruin your motor. Do like the post above and bump the timing until it pings and back it off a degree until it stops pinging. To tell if it is pinging just take you car for a drive and get into second gear, then slow down to @10-15 mph (as slow as possible without the car stalling) and then punch it and listen for pinging.

The method for selecting the timing above isn't always the best, because there is also a point of diminishing returns. This means that you can have too much timing and your car will fall on its face at higher rpm's and there will be no performance gain. Always go by the seat of the pants feel, when you drive it. When you set the timing jump on it and see how it drives. Oh yeah make sure your friend takes out the spout connector, that little grey plug on the wiring harness that connects to the distributor (not the big grey plug connected to the distributor, but the small plug, only has I think two wires going to it, plug looks like a little square).

Once you bump the timing, you will not believe the jump in performance, you will have all smiles, until you get used to it and you get bit by the go fast bug ....again.

[This message has been edited by 88GT5.013.02 (edited 01-13-2001).]

[This message has been edited by 88GT5.013.02 (edited 01-13-2001).]
Old 01-13-2001, 09:35 PM   #4
93SVTstang
Registered Member

Thanks 88GT5.013.02, I will be doing the adjustment on monday, so I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks again, Beau

------------------
93SVTstang-93 Cobra: 80mm MAF, K&N, 8mm plug wires, shorty headers, off road h-pipe, Borla Cat-back, centerforce clutch, hurst shifter, 3:55s
93SVTstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2001, 03:04 AM   #5
NOS_Notch
Registered Member

i agree. If you have a track open nearby, i believe the best way is to increase to around 14* and make a run.
Then try 12* and 16*.
Compare the MPH's on all slips and whichever was higher is your best setting.
Just remember, if you set it when it's 70 and no humidity, you should knock 2 off when it gets hot out.
when you know where it runs good, you just adjust it on the conditions.i wouldn't go higher than 14 though.
The reason i say use the mph rather than the ET is that mph is more consistent.
Hey '88gt...you race at lapeer, milan, or ubly????
i used to live in mi.....too cold though.
Cali is sweet right now, just took down my xmas lights in a t-shirt

------------------
4.10's,long tubes & 75 shot...Goes 12.50's
Check it out at http://www.burnouts.webprovider.com
NOS_Notch is offline   Reply With Quote