MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-29-2004, 07:26 AM   #1
429mustang
Registered Member

Default Heater Core leaking already!

I just replaced my heater core when I bought my car early this year, I could smell coolant every once and a while so I replaced it before it got bad figuring I'd be good for another 5-10 years. Yesterday I noticed some green drops on my carpet while rolling my window down - F**KER! It sucks cause I'm getting ready to move next week and it's not like I don't have a bunch of other things that need to get done. I won't even have to pay for the $18 part since it's under warranty, it's just a b*tch it happened already. I even made sure not to buy the brand from autozone that I heard was no good. I used blue RTV before I set the core in place, is there something better to use underneath the heater core to hold it in place?
Old 07-29-2004, 07:52 PM   #2
Capri306

Sucks for you, dude.

I've replaced three cores with AZ parts and NEVER had a single problem. Trick is to disconnect the evaporator lines and remove the entire box to make the work easier. As for padding the bottom (ooh, that sounds dirty...j/k), you can use the HVAC stuff available at Home dePOT. It comes in various sizes, so pick your favorite and have at it. Good luck, man.

1979 Mercury Capri
1987 5.0L Mustang LX Notchback
1993 5.8L Eddie Bauer Bronco
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 09:05 AM   #3
429mustang
Registered Member

Well I did it up yesterday morning, it was pretty easy being it's the 2nd time plus now I have a garage with tools and it's not winter like last time. One of the inlet/outles tubes craked at the seam going into the core, I'm guessing it's from either launching where the motor would pull on the hoses or just a defect, but it worked fine for a while. At least it didn't cost me anything, it was under warranty. I don't see why they can't make them a little stronger than they do though, at least around the inlet/outlet tubes. I'm just glad it happened this week, next week I'll be moving to Iowa so that would really ****** things up if it happened on the way.