MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-22-2007, 08:47 AM   #1
GrassAssasin
Registered Member

Lightbulb Advice on a 1990 GT purchase.

Hi, I sold my 5.0 Coupe, which a really regret by the way, so I have not been on this site in a couple years. I am sure this info is asked all the time but I could not find it, so I apoloze. As I said I had a 1990 LX Coupe 5.0 so I basically know what to look for but I am not that experienced. I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on what to check while looking at the car. This is the posting of the car
1990 FORD MUSTANG GT, 302 auto, ac, new pearl paint, reblt motor & trans, 70 mm mass airflow, shift kit, 2500 stall converter, Shorty headers, etc, $3500 in receipts, and he is asking only 3,2000 .
It is an older man who does not seem to know what he has. His neghibor owed him money and then got called to Iraq so he gave him that so I know I can get a good price becasuse he really needs to sell it. THe pictures look like it is perfect just about. THe AC does not work but he has a brand new Compressor in the box , it just needs to be installed, which I can do. So any advice as to what I should check out I would appreciate it.

He said he has receipts for everything and what mechanics did what work on it. The car has I think 15k on the enging 169K on the car and about 12k on the AOD.
I dont know if there is any specific problems to check out on a GT that are different on an LX also. I do realize that is the holidays but I know the car will go quick. So if someone Could get back to me as soon as possible i would great appreciate it.

Lastly is there any way to look up a car fax without the VIN because I was trying to not call him during Thanksgiving day but I will if I have to. THanks folks

Wayne
GrassAssasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 12:58 PM   #2
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Default Re: Advice on a 1990 GT purchase.

Check the cowl panel and the top of the car right behind the windshield for Bondo. Its very common for the hood to fly up and damage these areas.

Get under the car and check the torque boxes.(the points where the control arms mount to the body) If the torque boxes are ripped loose often times they are unrepairable and the car will handle like crap and basicly be junk.

Look at the front core support, this is often damaged.

No brainer here but always pull the dip stick and check the oil. If its really low or pitch black its a sign of neglect also check for signs of water in the oil.

look in the overflow tank and look for signs of oil, this is usually a sign of a blown head gasket.

Hope this helps,
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 05:14 PM   #3
USMC302
Registered Member

Default Re: Advice on a 1990 GT purchase.

Lots of good pointers and I want to encourage you to look at the carfax as you mentioned before you buy it, I hate to say it but a fresh painted stang is suspect for a previous wreck.....Where is the car located, think about the area, ie..if it snows, think about the salt that's it's been driving in and check close for rust, if it's New Orleans, make sure it wasn't flooded..etc... Good luck.