MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-03-2001, 12:25 PM   #1
Mr. Lee
Registered Member

Cool advice from the experienced

so is that a good subject to schmooze some info from you guys/gals?

Being the new guy here, i'm not sure if this is the right place to post this or not. I'm not a newbie to the site, just a newbie to posting. i've been a guest for a little while quietly reading your posts.
BACKGROUND INFO
I am currently undergoing a project car. i am looking for an 84-90 lx or gt 5.0L I know a little about them from my buddies, but just enough to be dangerous. (all of them except one TA guy who just completed a nice LS1 conversion on his 86 TA.)

In an effort to be a tightwad, i am looking for some places to buy crate engines. A used or rebuilt engine would also work fine. However, i would like to compare prices on a turn-key built engine vs. buying a used or rebuilt engine and building it to what i like. (IE: head and cams, ecu upgrade, port/polish, headers, etc...) my plan is to build the engine while keeping the one in the car there until the "new" one is finished, then swapping it out when completed. Any recommendations on sources for either crate, used or rebuilt from experience?

Any other input you have would be welcome!

TIA...

Mr. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2001, 05:19 PM   #2
Mr. Lee
Registered Member

how did this get a -2 on the post? hmm.
Old 01-03-2001, 07:19 PM   #3
Jeff Chambers

Good question...that caught my eye too. You know these new fangled computer gizmos though...give them an inch and they'll make your life a living hell!

------------------
Jeff Chambers
Trophy Stock #3
11.97 Seconds / 114.5 MPH
http://www.kellnet.com/chambers
Jeff Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2001, 07:22 PM   #4
Jeff Chambers

Have you considered buying a decent short-block as a starting point? You could get a DSS or Coast High 306 short block for around $1700, surround it with stock take-offs and be off to a hell of a start. I just have a hard time giving the nod to your basic discount auto remanufactured engines.

------------------
Jeff Chambers
Trophy Stock #3
11.97 Seconds / 114.5 MPH
http://www.kellnet.com/chambers
Jeff Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2001, 08:39 PM   #5
Five0
Registered Member

(Mr. Lee) What part of fla are you from.

------------------
James Cox
nochevy@hotmail.com
1991 Mustang LX
Best 1/8 time on motor 7.686 @90.20mph
Five0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2001, 09:09 AM   #6
Mr. Lee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jeff chambers:
I just have a hard time giving the nod to your basic discount auto remanufactured engines.

you and me both. discount auto is fine for picking up oil or windshield wipers, but other than that, i'll go elsewhere.

have you had any experience with summit? overpriced? some of my friends have bought their heads direct from ford racing. i'd like to find a better lo buck solution. i'll check into DSS and see what's going on with that.
Thanks Jeff.

Old 01-04-2001, 09:11 AM   #7
Mr. Lee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Five0:
(Mr. Lee) What part of fla are you from.

Right now, St. Pete. Hopefully growing roots here. I like St. Pete for the most part.

you from FLA, Five0?

Old 01-04-2001, 09:20 AM   #8
89LXNB
Registered Member

Central Coast Mustangs has a good deal on a long block right now. GT 40 Cast Iron heads,
all new parts etc..I think it's going for like $1900, $2100 with roller rocker arms. You will spend more than that if you do it yourself. You will gain a lot of knowledge however, if you decide to build a motor on your own. Plus, you know exactly what you have and how well it was put together. You cannot beat the experience of doing it yourself, if you like to wrench that is.
Good luck.
89LXNB is offline   Reply With Quote