MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-08-2003, 09:05 PM   #1
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

Default Advice on injectors...PKRWUD I'd like your advice on this one as well

Well, for all of you that helped on the previous problems I had with fuel, my thanks. It seems to be fixed.

This weekend I tried on a set of 30# injectors a buddy had lying around along with a new BBK adjustable FPR. Anyhow, as you've probably already guessed, it was too much fuel for my combo.

I got it started and the timing set and set the fuel pressure to about 40 psi vac off. The car struggled through lower rpms and ran strong once it got spinning about 4000 and could use the fuel. I backed the pressure down to around 36-37 psi (low as the fpr would go) and it ran better, but still not as strong as with stock injectors. Pushed the pressure to 44 psi for grins and it stumbled bad at idle and low rpms. (If you're wondering, yes, I swapped in a 30# calibration tube into the MAF)

Anyway, I need advice. My car has always run on the lean side. Every time I pull the plugs they're chalky white. I figured the car will like a bit more fuel and that I'm toward the top end of what the stock injectors can handle. Should I simply clean and reinstall the stock 19#'ers and up the fuel pressure, or would it be better to get step up to a set of 24# injectors? I can get a set of 24#'er for $75 more than I have set aside, so the cost isn't a major concern.

Now that I've felt what the car is like with too much fuel, I just don't want to out more cash for a set of 24# injectors only to find that the car still doesn't like it. Do you think I would be ok running the 24's? Let me hear you opinions.

Thanks.

--nathan
'91 GT, Coast 347, 9.5:1 compression, full intake, Wolverine 1087 cam, exhaust, Keith Craft ported Windsor Jr. Irons (235 cfm intake, 195 cfm exhaust), AOD, PI 3500 converter, Lentech valve body, 3.73's (4.10's in the works), and Yokohama ES100's out back.

Daily Car: '04 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2003, 09:33 PM   #2
BilLster
Registered Member

well the computer has to adjust the injector pulse so it has to relearn somethings unplug the battery and then drive it around for a couple of days and then see how it runs also leave the fuel presure at 44 lbs for this time ok.

bigger injectors shouldnt add more fuel when you dont need it.

Old 06-09-2003, 02:29 AM   #3
PKRWUD

Using bigger injectors than needed requires less fuel pressure in order to run properly, but lowering the pressure screws up the spray pattern, and the results still suck.

Your engine sounds nice, but I don't see any reason why you would need anything larger than 19 pound injectors. Injectors do become dirty, and that affects the way they work, so cleaning or replacing them would be your best bet, IMO. Actually, you can get a set of 19's for about the same price it would cost to have them professionally cleaned (don't buy into the $39.95 gas station special), so if it were me, I would just get a new set of 19's.

But that's just me.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 08:59 AM   #4
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Most definitely stick with the 19 # injectors. Get some accel 19# injectors. They spay a finer mist than the stockers resulting in better fuel atomization and more HP.

Thats my 2 cents.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote