MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Windsor Power (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   AFR or Trick Flow Heads (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=44086)

NitroNixon 08-31-2004 12:37 PM

AFR or Trick Flow Heads

I have $1100 cash to spend on heads. Which heads would you recommend for my stock shortblock 302? I check the flow rates on both heads and it seems the trick flow (twisted Wedge) heads flow alittle better that the AFR 165s. I kinda have my mind set on the AFR's.

Can anyone recommend a good place the buy them from?

ols0051 08-31-2004 01:21 PM

afr165's would be my choice.

88fivepointoh 08-31-2004 01:49 PM

The TrickFlows are great heads and I don't know anyone who has them that isn't happy. Everyone I know is happy as hell with the heads...

~The Jester~ 09-01-2004 03:37 PM

Don't you need new headers with the TW heads? I always thought you did. IMHO I like AFR's better than Trick Flow, but don't forget about us "yankee's" either....... CANFIELD

Also for about HALF the money, since your engine is all stock. I HIGHLY recommend finding a set of Windsor Sr. or Roush heads. Yes, they're iron, but an outstanding all around head. I had a set of Windsor Sr (Dart) on a stock 1980 shortblock in the 11's dude!

NitroNixon 09-01-2004 04:03 PM

I seen a pair of Windor aluminum heads a few days ago at my local speed shop. I couldn't tell if they were JR's or SR's. The ports were huge. The shop wanted $999 for them new. Would these perform better that the iron windsor SR heads?

NitroNixon 09-01-2004 04:21 PM

I called the speed shop, and they said that they are Aluminum Windsor Jr Heads, priced at $999. They are complete as well. Do you think this is a good price for that head? What are the flow numbers on these heads. I don't see them on the head flow comparison chart I have.

88fivepointoh 09-01-2004 04:22 PM

If there ported then sure and you will loose the extra heavy weight from the iron heads..

NitroNixon 09-01-2004 04:50 PM

No, I'm not sure if they are ported, but the ports looked huge.

~The Jester~ 09-01-2004 05:10 PM

Are you sure he's not talking about Victor Jr heads for a Windsor??? Basically heads for a Windsor engine have 1/2" holes instead of a 302's 7/16" holes. Not an issue, you just need little "top hats" for your 7/16" head bolts, no big deal at all.

I was under the assumption that all true "Windsor Sr" heads cast by Dart, then later cast by World Products, then ulitmately the Roush 200 head, were all iron. I could be wrong on this one, but I'm almost 100% sure.

Problem with a stock motor, you don't want to go TOO huge with the ports. Then you need a huge carb to fill them up, keep up the port velocity, and then your little 302 won't be able to burn all that fuel/air.

I would find a decent set of heads, nothing too radical. Then spend the rest of my money on a "B" or "E" cam. That'll really show on the "ass dyno", if you know what I mean. hehehehe ;)

NitroNixon 09-02-2004 07:38 AM

The guy told me that they are Windsor Jr heads w/ 1.9-1.6 valves. And they are aluminum. I've checked around on Ebay as well to see what's for sell.

88fivepointoh 09-02-2004 12:50 PM

i agree with what jester said on this one.. To big is not good.

crazypete 09-02-2004 02:51 PM

Velocity is somewhat as important as flow. Thats why lets say the gt-40p has smaller exhaust valves than the gt40 but has better power numbers: the extra velocity. If you get huge ports and your engine isnt some overbored stroker, you'll probably have terrible low end- midrange throttle response. Up top, it'll be great but down low, it will suffer.

NitroNixon 09-02-2004 03:10 PM

Thanks,

I think I'll just go with the GT40p heads and have them ported.

Rev 09-02-2004 06:26 PM

TFTW

I agonized for months over whether to get TFTW or AFR 165's. The AFR 165's are fully CNC ported with 1.94/160 valves. The TFTW have 2.02/1.60 valves but are not fully ported but are cleanly cast. I finally chose the TFTW heads and had them "pocket ported" for anothewr $150.

One advantage of the TFTW heads is that they have the rocker cover rail raised about 1/4" so that you can use stock height valve covers even with full roller rockers with poly-locks. You may have to buy new tall valve covers to use RR's on other heads. That saves about $150.

The TFTW heads are made with the exhaust ports in the standard positons and so use standard headers. Its the TrickFlow R series heads I believe that need custom headers due to raised exhaust ports. At any rate, The TFTW heads have worked well for me. I do believe that the AFR 165 heads would have worked just as well. I doubt that I would have been able to tell the difference performance-wise.

Rev