MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-05-2002, 10:24 PM   #1
fongo
Registered Member

Red face after engine cleaning..won't start..fuel pump relay?

Alright fellas! Silly me, went out and degreased my entire engine yesterday and then hosed it off with water. Everything was fine. I started the car (once) an it ran fine, and I let it warm up to evaporate and dry out the engine.
To my dismay, today I went back to turn the car on,,,and it won't start. I don't hear that normal "whining" coming from the back of the car, which I presume is the fuel pump. I get juice and crank, but it doesn't start. SO....based on all the posts I read so far, I assume it's either:
1. fuel pump itself (hmm..I doubt it)
2. fuel pump relay (I suspect this)
If it is the relay, how do I test it to make sure it is? On the 93 5.0 I hear the relay is on the passenger side fenderwell. Can someone comfirm this?
The bottom line is: could I have "wetted" or damaged the fuel pump relay while rinsing the engine off? or is this really a defective fuel pump.
I need some recommendations or suggestions on how to go about this dilemma.
Thanks everyone! whaagggh! I want my stang back on the road.
happy holidays!
1993 GT, MAC Fenderwell Cold Air Induction; Accel dist.,Splitfire plugs, BBK: 1 5/8 unequal length shorties, hi flow H-pipe w/ cats; Flowmasters 2 chamber American Thunder catback system, Motorsports 3-core radiator, 180º thermostat, BBK adj. clutch quad...the rest is bone stock!..but more mods to come!!
fongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 10:40 PM   #2
srv1
Get down.....

for some reason i am thinking their is still moister in your distributor cap? huh...
Old 07-05-2002, 11:20 PM   #3
blueneonman1
Registered Member

Yes I say check the dist. cap too. I washed my engine one time, go to start it up and it ran like crap. There was lots of water in the cap. Do you hear the starter click or not>?
Blue Streak - '95 5.0L Mustang GT convertible | Saleen heat extractor fiberglass hood | K&N custom CAI | Taylor Spiro Pros | Walbro 255lph pump | Kirban AFPR | MSD Cap/Rotor/Blaster TFI | 2 chamber flows w/ dumps | BBK LTs | BBK short h-pipe | No smog or EGR | NOS 75hp dry kit w/ heater & purge | Battery in trunk| Chassis Eng. subframes | Custom 6-pt rollbar | King Cobra clutch | Steeda adj. clutch cable w/ double hook quad. & firewall adj. | B&M Ripper shifter | FMS C springs | Pro3i C/C plates | Lakewood 70/30 struts | Comp. Eng. 3-way shocks | Chassis Eng. LCAs | Fan switch | 180* thermo FMS| Kumho Ecsta 255/40's all around | Coolest neon lighting on a Mustang EVER!

Don't find yourself in front of me...my brakes SUCK! saving up for a complete Cobra package

Homepage: http://www16.brinkster.com/blueneonman/

Best 1/4 time: 13.5 @ 101
Best 1/8 time: 8.6 @ 84
blueneonman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 11:41 PM   #4
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

The fuel pump relay is under your driver's seat.
Old 07-06-2002, 12:09 AM   #5
PKRWUD

if you used to hear the fuel pump for the first two seconds after you turn the key on, but don't now, then it could very well be the relay. The first thing I would do is to ground the fuel pump wire at the self test connector. Looking at the connector, it is the terminal represented by the "x". The other terminals are "-", and "O" is just to fill space:

OO - - OO
O - - - x O

Ground that terminal, and try to start it.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2002, 06:47 AM   #6
Maroon 5.0 LX
Registered Member

Pull the distributor cap and check for moisture. Maybe/probably some moisture got in there when you hosed it down.

After you ran the engine, the heat cause this moisture to turn into a mist which will seem to expand inside the cap and short out the ignition.

You may have to pull the plug wires off and dry the plugs and wires, as the same thing happens at the plugs.
Maroon 5.0 LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2002, 01:58 PM   #7
fongo
Registered Member

Thanks everyone. I do get crank, it just doesn't start. That's why I suspect the fuel relay...but I'll check the dist cap too.
I heard for the 93GT the relay was in the passanger side fender in the engine. If it's underneath the driver's seat, do I have to remove the seat or is it easy to pull out?
Thanks everyone!
1993 GT, MAC Fenderwell Cold Air Induction; Accel dist.,Splitfire plugs, BBK: 1 5/8 unequal length shorties, hi flow H-pipe w/ cats; Flowmasters 2 chamber American Thunder catback system, Motorsports 3-core radiator, 180º thermostat, BBK adj. clutch quad...the rest is bone stock!..but more mods to come!!
fongo is offline   Reply With Quote