MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-31-2001, 05:26 PM   #1
Fostang
Registered Member

Post Air bypass valve ?

How do you know when the air bypass valve is no working properly? What are the symtoms of a car with a bad bypass valve. The car idles roughly and when accelerating it just sits on it's behind and doesn't get up. The tps sensor has been replaced and is working correctly what else could it be?

------------------
67'fastback-Edelbrock carb,intake,cam,valve springs.Rhode lifters, CompCam rocker arms, windage tray,cerama coated headers,dual flows with H-pipe, modded c-4,tci stall converter,perma cool electric fan,aluminum water pump,griffen aluminum radiator,accel 8.8 cable,wide cap distriburator,magnetic pick up,v-matic hurst shifter,edelbrock performer nitrous, carter electric fuel pump,ignitor coil,solid motor mounts,magna racing suspension,poly urathane bushings,under rider traction bars, comp. eng. s
Fostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2001, 05:32 PM   #2
Jeff7477
Registered Member

Vacuum leak? checked vacuum lately?
Jeff7477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2001, 06:07 PM   #3
Fostang
Registered Member

Vacuum is perfect.

------------------
67'fastback-Edelbrock carb,intake,cam,valve springs.Rhode lifters, CompCam rocker arms, windage tray,cerama coated headers,dual flows with H-pipe, modded c-4,tci stall converter,perma cool electric fan,aluminum water pump,griffen aluminum radiator,accel 8.8 cable,wide cap distriburator,magnetic pick up,v-matic hurst shifter,edelbrock performer nitrous, carter electric fuel pump,ignitor coil,solid motor mounts,magna racing suspension,poly urathane bushings,under rider traction bars, comp. eng. s
Old 07-31-2001, 09:42 PM   #4
QuantumMotorsports
Registered Member

I have been having similar problems, but they are intermittent. Does your car also sometimes miss at idle and sound like it is almost loping like it has a cam? I am wondering if it isn't an ignition problem. Such as a bad coil, or TFI module. I have heard that they are known to go bad on 5.0s. I'm am trying to learn all I can about the EFI electrical system because as you can tell by now it has a huge effect on how the engine can run. I am planning on rewiring my entire wire harness soon because I have had many electrical problems since squirrels chewed my harness to bits and I had a ford dealer fix it. Never send a dealership to do a mans job by the way.

------------------
Michael Black
Quantum Motorsports
Norman, Oklahoma

1988 Merc Cougar 5.0 HO, Ported and Polished E7TEs, 2.25" offroad H pipe w/ 2 chamber flowmasters, T5 tranny
New E/T!!!
14.626 @ 94.94mph, 2.194 60' time, a little better than last time. Keep in mind this thang is heavy (3590lbs) Finally 14s!!!!

QuantumMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2001, 02:40 PM   #5
Fostang
Registered Member

It tends to want to lope but today replaced the air bypass and sensor attached rechecked the timing and it ran fine now. Much more stable rpm's. But still seems to need more air. Maybe it's time to replace the throttle body and mass air.

------------------