MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-10-2002, 05:17 PM   #1
MrShelby
Registered Member

Default Air Pump Delete belt?

Hey guys and gals.

Recently my air pump decided to seize on me, and since i live in florida i do not require any emissions controls anymore. I am just curious if there is a belt out there that by-passes the air pump so i dont have to go out and spend 50 bucks on a new one.

I know this was posted once before, but for some reason the thread no longer exists.

I have an 87 mustang gt. With A/C
MrShelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2002, 07:43 PM   #2
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Lightbulb Short belt

You need an 84.5" belt to bypass the smog pump.

Go to a good parts house like a NAPA dealer, not Auto Zone or simiilar places who don't know jack. Tell the counter guy what you need and he should be able to help you out.

Heres a link to explain more and shows you the belt routing.

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...ps/index.shtml
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2002, 07:47 PM   #3
MrShelby
Registered Member

sweet...is there any place i can order this online since i dont have a napa here in tallahassee?

or better yet...anyone have a part number.

Last edited by MrShelby; 06-10-2002 at 07:57 PM..
Old 06-10-2002, 08:57 PM   #4
90'5.0 Conv
Long time member in and out

845K6 is the belt you need. you can go to Advance Auto, Discount or AutoZone but like Mr. 5.0 said, tell them the exact belt that I listed and either they have it or they don't(they may try to get you to tell them what its for and blab on about some bullcrap). I got mine at Advance.

Later, James
2 Ch Flowmasters

1/8th ET 9.04
90'5.0 Conv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2002, 10:07 PM   #5
MrShelby
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 90'5.0 Conv
845K6 is the belt you need. you can go to Advance Auto, Discount or AutoZone but like Mr. 5.0 said, tell them the exact belt that I listed and either they have it or they don't(they may try to get you to tell them what its for and blab on about some bullcrap). I got mine at Advance.

Later, James
ummm i dont think so. I got that one before i made the first post and its to big by about 4 inches. Perhaps its b/c i have factory air...i dunno. Or maybe im an idiot and im putting it on wrong (which i doubt i have done this about 100000 times)
Old 06-10-2002, 10:25 PM   #6
RoadWarrior
Registered Member

I actually have to agree with Mrshelby. i tried going and getting that belt since i removed the air pump and it was too long. Unfortunately i dont remember the size i got that worked. If you need it i can look in up in my growing pile of reciepts for the car.
Old 06-11-2002, 12:21 AM   #7
MrShelby
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RoadWarrior
I actually have to agree with Mrshelby. i tried going and getting that belt since i removed the air pump and it was too long. Unfortunately i dont remember the size i got that worked. If you need it i can look in up in my growing pile of reciepts for the car.
if you could that would be great. But i am probably gonna be forced to get a new air pump since this is my only car and i hate asking people for rides.
Old 06-11-2002, 12:54 AM   #8
Lethal5Oh
Registered Member

I dont know the price of a new pump but why dont you just get a smog pump eliminator kit? $65 from excessive motorsports. A new pump would be more than that wouldnt it?
'95 GT convert. K&N, C&L mass air meter, Performance distributors sreamin demon coil, dyna mod, live wires, king cobra clutch, flowmaster american thunder exhaust, UPR billet adjustable shift handle, Crane Cams Fireball HI-6 box,underdrive pullies, 255lph fuel pump, UPr short throw shifter, caster camber plates, 03 cobra lower A arms, bullit suspension, cobra front brakes
Lethal5Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 01:37 AM   #9
MrShelby
Registered Member

pump from autozone is 35.99 wiht a 10 dollar core charge...they can have the old one for all i care...but if i go your way..i wont have to worry about it ever again
Old 06-11-2002, 03:59 PM   #10
90'5.0 Conv
Long time member in and out

Did you take a look at the link Mr. 5.0 gave you? It shows the new way you will need to reroute your belt. I have AC on my car also and the belt will work fine. Make sure you take note of the new routing method as I said. Alot easier than putting on a pointless smog pump when you don't have to pass emisions.

James
2 Ch Flowmasters

1/8th ET 9.04
90'5.0 Conv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 11:51 PM   #11
MrShelby
Registered Member

im a ******* n00b. I didnt even notice it was routed a different way... looks like something to try in the morning.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:33 AM   #12
gamerpadinc
Registered Member

Default Re: Air Pump Delete belt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrShelby View Post
ummm i dont think so. I got that one before i made the first post and its to big by about 4 inches. Perhaps its b/c i have factory air...i dunno. Or maybe im an idiot and im putting it on wrong (which i doubt i have done this about 100000 times)
well the diagram is different on it when you take off the smog pump
gamerpadinc is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: