MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-13-2001, 09:39 AM   #1
matt cook
Registered Member

Post air pump questions

I am putting E7's on my 82Gt this winter-I have this question:

I have a 4-cat Hpipe with the air pump running to it. I also have the air pump running to the back of the heads. What will happen if I do away with all the 'valving, routing stuff', run the air pump straight to the cats and plug the backs of the new heads?

This would simply be to clean up the engine compartment some...

thanks

------------------
1982 Mustang GT
matt cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2001, 01:13 PM   #2
vande97
Registered Member

I am wondering the same thing!
vande97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2001, 02:01 AM   #3
elmir50
Registered Member

If the smog inspectors allow it then go nuts! It won't harm your car any.
elmir50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2001, 12:45 AM   #4
Capri306

Um, yes it will. I've seen people literally melt their cats doing similar things. Beside, if it's not broken, why dink with it? Removing the air pump isn't in your best interests, either. If you're THAT desperate for 1-2hp, you're in the wrong ballgame. If I were you, I'd leave well-enough alone. Just my .02

------------------
Capri306, Moderator, The Mustang Works Online
"PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!!!"
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2001, 02:38 AM   #5
blueoval84
Registered Member

I just asked a similiar question on another board. I have a carbed 84 302 w/ virtually no emissions (Don't ask, it was that way when I bought it). It does however have the airpump and thermactor diverter valve/pump and crossover tube(that's what goes to the rear of the head I think). I usually agree with the "if it ain't broke then don't break it more" theory, but do I really need it. I was thinking like Matt. Just block it off at the head and run an idler bracket in its(airpump)place. The charcoal can and cat(s) have long been gone. Given this scenerio(where's my dictionary?), what's the verdict?

thanks,

Lee
blueoval84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2001, 10:57 AM   #6
John
Registered Member

I cut my crossover tubes and turned the mount around to block off the hole in heads, also blocked the tube from h pipe. 'course my pipe is offroad

------------------
89 Notch: ASP Pullies,
K&N Air,Transgo shiftkit,Trans. cooler,FMS 3 core , FMS 4:10's, 1.5" cowl, cold air kit, hooker shorties(jet hot coated), O/R H-Pipe, ASP solid mounts, Energy Sus. Trans. Mnt. BBK 70mm TB, MSD 6al, Dual elec. fans, 5.0 Firepower Kit, Scorpion 1.6 RR's, Flowmasters, 73 mm MAF, cobra intake and crower #512 cam,
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2001, 11:23 AM   #7
Mach 1
Registered Member

Yes, you can do exactly what you said with no problems what so ever and it will clean up your engine compartment very much.

Capri- he said he was leaving it attached to the cats, so what are you talking about burning up the cats?

I did it with mine, used the air idler pulley from ford and an off road h-pipe. Looks great. Better yet, gets march's alternator mount bracket and eliminate the air pump altogether.

You can find plugs at Lowes that fit into the heads, so you dont have to cut your tubes and turn them around, thus saving them intact if needed for future inspections.
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2001, 07:45 AM   #8
matt cook
Registered Member

thanks guys -
yeah, I am keepin it pumpin' to the cats, just not the heads, so the cats are still getting the extra air they need.

------------------
1982 Mustang GT
matt cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2001, 10:01 PM   #9
jz_mustang50
Registered Member

I have a 91 Mustang GT and I pulled the airpump and just got a shorter belt. I removed the valve thing and the hoses. I caped off the pcv tube coming up from the exahust pipe (difficult to get it cut off and the hole welded closed) and caped off the pipe connecting to the heads. I could have removed that and plugged that with an allen plug I later found, but have not yet. It was easy to do but every so often when the car is warming up in the morning the check engine light flicks on and off. I checked the codes and sure enough the computer is not detecting the air pump :-) I dont think it improves preformace much, but it will not hurt at all! I'm happy i did it... looks nicer and easier to get to the spark plugs! Just do it if youre in a non-emissions state!.

------------------
Joe Zemaitis
Grand Rapids Michigan
jz_mustang50 is offline   Reply With Quote