MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-01-2001, 03:10 PM   #1
DemonGT
Registered Member

Post header hell

well....put my whole mac exhaust on...and my was that hell...i was not expecting it to be that difficult...me and two buddys started on it at 10 in the morning saturday..didnt get done till 2 in the morning sunday...and all of your arms are very sore...drivers side header was a b**ch..passanger side went right in...and the mac h pipe didnt fit well either..had to be perswaded cat back went on good though..i was thinken..well at least no prob with cat back..then i find out that im missing one of those rubber hanger thingys..so the drivers side tail pipe is just wired up for now...sounds killer though
DemonGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2001, 08:38 PM   #2
86GT
Sniffed too much n20

I had tons of problems installing my Mac full length headers and h-pipe too. I did it last weekend, took me from 1pm Saturday til 2am Sunday. What a pain in a$$. And now the cat h-pipe hangs a bit low even with the tranny backet on. The catback is still nice though.

I can sympathize with you.. I just hope that its worth it..
86GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2001, 09:54 PM   #3
mikos chris

Did you guys jack the motor up and disconnect the steering shaft when you did this? I dont remember it taking me that long to get the headers in. The biggest pain in the butt was getting the bolt holes lined up with the holes in the head, thankfully thats what big pry bars are for.
Old 04-02-2001, 01:27 AM   #4
DemonGT
Registered Member

yes..we jacked up the whole motor..and disconnected the steering....kept hiting on the tranny and brake stuff..think it was the caliper or something

------------------
'91 GT,91K,T-5,air silencer removed,racing clutch(previous owner put in so dont know what kind),K&N air filter,Aiwa deck,power acoustic amp,2 12" pianeers,Mac long tubes,Cat-back,off road H

Future Mods:3.73's,Pro 5.0,Shifter knob,FMS 9mm wires,E303 cam,cobra intake
DemonGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2001, 12:40 PM   #5
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

I slid my driver's side header in from the bottom and it was a piece of cake. What made it easy was when we jacked the motor up we pushed it toward the passenger side and the header slid right in.

------------------
ICQ# 42269241
Indiana Stangers Association
Buy your parts here
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2001, 04:36 PM   #6
84stangLX

I was stupid and bought an offroad H-pipe from JC Whitney. Big mistake. Me and my dad had to shorten the right pipe by 1 1/2" and had to bend in other places.

------------------
'84 Mustang 5.0 T5, FMS aluminum radiator & 180* thermostat, 1 5/8 shortys/2.5" duals, '88 GT tail lights and wheels, Holley 4160 4 BBL, smog pump idler, now with hi-po collapsed lifters in #3 or #4
Old 04-02-2001, 08:21 PM   #7
stangbang
Registered Member

I am ditching my mac full length headers for bbk's with the jet hot coating.I was very careful not to scratch when installing and don't drive in the rain or snow and still the mac's rusted and look like crap
stangbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2001, 09:54 PM   #8
Bob
"Old School Gearhead"

I just put the BBK's on mine, the chrome ones not the coated though. The headers fit great, and clear everything fine. With only maybe 20 miles on 'em they're already turning kind of gold and even blue in spots from the heat, but I figure that's to be expected. They still look good though. The H-pipe took some bending to get to fit right also.

------------------
1985 Mustang GT

'85 GT 13.20 @ 105.8 / '72 Mach1
Long list...check website!!
My Website
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2001, 11:18 PM   #9
86GT
Sniffed too much n20

I jacked my motor up and disconnected the steering shaft to get them in. I've done the BBK Long tube install on my brother's car and it was 10x easier to do than the MACs, everything lined up and slid in.

I'm thinking that maybe the bends in the tubes have something to do with it. Oh well, they're in now, and not coming out for a long long time if I can help it.
86GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2001, 10:01 AM   #10
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

Dang! It took me that long to put my motor back in, get it hooked up, and fire it up.

Of course, I did spend about an hour and a half on trying to get the stupid H-pipe to match up to the passenger header.

Simple things always seem to take the most unexpected amount of time.

--nathan

------------------
--silver_pilate

'91 GT, Built 306, Wolverine 1087 cam, ported Windsor Jr. Irons, and all the goodies...click the link to the left to see a full list of my mods...

Tried and True 302 Being Built to Outrun You! heh heh heh...
--Texas Panhandle--
Check out my site
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote