MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-07-2006, 04:16 PM   #1
raptor
Registered Member

Default ALTERNATOR Problem

Ok, I had my alternator rebuilt to be 100amps. I put it back on to find out it didn't work. My amp light came on and my volt meter was 8vdc. I took it back to the rebuilder. He told me the stator was cooked. The rebuilder did it again at no charge. I again put it back on and again it didn't work.
Could I have a short somewhere? There are two plugs on it. With the key on (car not running) alternator unpluged, I get power to one heavy wire. Can someone point me in the right direction. Maybe I should try a different rebuilder?
88GT, 331Stroker,FMS 70mm TB,77mm Pro-M mass air,Ram Air,K&N,GT40/Exployer Intakes,Gasket Matched,FMS 24lb injectors,Crane hi-6 ignition system,B303 cam,Crane 1.6RR,FMS underdrive pullies,351W/heads,port/polish,FMS h/f oil pump,Hedman headers,2 1/2in H pipe Flow Masters,190lph Holley fuel pump,Center Force dual friction,FMS 3.55,Hurst short throw/ trigger T handle,Subframe connectors,Welded torque boxes.
raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 11:17 AM   #2
raptor
Registered Member

Default Re: ALTERNATOR Problem

Well I went to the wreckers and got another alternator it didn't work either. But with this one when I rev the engine 4500rpm + the amp light goes out. I'm thinking of going to a one plug, single wire alternator but not sure how to wire it in. I'm a mechanical guy not an electrical guy. Any help would be great.
88GT, 331Stroker,FMS 70mm TB,77mm Pro-M mass air,Ram Air,K&N,GT40/Exployer Intakes,Gasket Matched,FMS 24lb injectors,Crane hi-6 ignition system,B303 cam,Crane 1.6RR,FMS underdrive pullies,351W/heads,port/polish,FMS h/f oil pump,Hedman headers,2 1/2in H pipe Flow Masters,190lph Holley fuel pump,Center Force dual friction,FMS 3.55,Hurst short throw/ trigger T handle,Subframe connectors,Welded torque boxes.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:00 PM   #3
82 GT
Import Slayer

I have a 100amo alternator from Powermaster and I love it!
All you do is run a 4 gauge wire from the battery side of the selenoid to the alternator and you're finished!!
You could have bought a 3G alternator at the scrapyard while you were there and had a 130amp unit.
I don't remember which cars, have them but I'm sure someone here knows.
'82 GT 351W (.060)Comp Cams 274* Extreme Energy cam, ported & polished heads w/ 1.94/1.60 valves 10.3:1 flat top pistons,stealth intake, Mallory dizzy,Holley 750dp carb, BBK shorties,Flowmaster exhaust,C-4 with 3700 stall converter, B&M pro shifter,8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes, electric fan, powermaster alternator, 4 core radiator.
82 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 09:52 AM   #4
raptor
Registered Member

Well, I desided to look for a short. I do have a short somewhere. I can get resistance from ground to power side of wiring harness with all those fusable links. Now I need to figure out where its shorting.

Does anyone have a Wiring Diagram??

Greatful for any help.