MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-03-2001, 02:10 PM   #1
DemonGT
Registered Member

Post alum vs. iron

i was wondering which are better ..the TFS alum. heads or iron..what are the good and bad of both alum and iron?

------------------
'91 GT,91K,T-5,air silencer removed,racing clutch(previous owner put in so dont know what kind),K&N air filter,Mac long tubes,Cat-back,off road H,FMS 9mm wires,Competition gauges,C&L 76mm MAF

Future Mods:3.73's,Pro 5.0,accufab 70mm tb,TFS heads,TFS stage 1 cam,lakewood struts/shocks,nitto DR's,four cylinder springs up front
ICQ#35670781
DemonGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2001, 03:45 PM   #2
exgmguy
Registered Member

you mean the old TFS iron heads? You need special headers for high port heads, and I believe the alumnium twisted wedge flow better anyway.

exgmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2001, 09:26 PM   #3
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Talking

Well, let's see...

The Aluminum's flow better, are lighter, allow for higher compression, more advanced timing, and they stay cooler than cast iron heads.

For the Iron's, maybe a little cheaper?

They also sound cooler, don't they?

Girl 1 "What do you have on your car?"
Guy 1 <average guy voice> "I've got aluminum heads, they're really good!"
Guy 2 <Optimus Prime deep announcer voice> "I've got IRON heads, pure, unadulterated, IRON. They are crushed onto my engine block by sheer weight!! I don't even have to use head bolts, they are so strong, they don't even need them. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.... Puny man with your little aluminum heads, how can you expect them to beat ME??? You can't. Your heads are not strong as steel, they are weak, just like you, hahaha... Listen to the way they sound, aluminum, sounds like a wimp, rich mans metal! Now IRON, that sounds like a MAN's METAL!!!

That's about the only advantage to iron heads, LOL!
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2001, 01:22 AM   #4
91evilstang
Registered Member

Wink

The same size iron heads make more horsepower than aluminum but how much i dont know if ist only a couple(witch i think it is)they say 100pounds is a tenth so a set of iron heads weighing almost 100pounds and aluminum weighing what?like 30 or 40 pounds you should be ahead still.Also aluminum heads do dissapate heat much better so this can be a very critical thing if your planning on supercharging it later.

------------------
91GT Flowmaster 2 chambers,off road H pipe,mac equalength headers,F303 cam,high lift valve springs ,svo 1.6 roller rockers,16*timing,410's,BBK cold air kit,hurst shifter, Pullys,World class T5 MSD 6al box. Ran 13.5@101 with stock headers and air box.
91evilstang is offline   Reply With Quote