MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-02-2006, 07:39 PM   #1
1979bruiser
Registered Member

Default aluminum heads

anyone used pro comp heads? would you go w/ a new set of pro comps or a used set of twisted wedge trickflows?
1979bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 01:53 PM   #2
Coupe50h
Registered Member

Default Re: aluminum heads

I dont think i ever heard of them, are you talking about "pro topline"?
X-Texas highway patrol ssp 1990 coupe - exploder Gt-40 iron heads, Explorer intake, 19 lber's. E-cam. crane 1.7 rollers. 190fp. 75mm maf. 65mm tb, tubular subframe connectors, mac cai, Asp crank pulley, T-5, king cobra clutch, flowtech 1-5/8 unequals, mac X-pipe Frpp driveshaft, lakewood Lca's.
race weight 3,160

12.69 @ 107.35, 1.71 60' 26x8.5 drag's 3.90 gear

13.20 @ 106.91 - 235/60/15 firestones 2.3 60' 3.27 gear
Coupe50h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 03:09 PM   #3
Rev
Registered Member

Are Pro Comps made off shore? (Taiwan?) I would choose made in USA top brands such as TrickFlow, Edelbrock, Air Flow Research.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 04:21 PM   #4
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

If I'm thinkin right (which doesn't happen very often) Pro-Comps are AUSTRALIAN. Been lots of cool speed stuff coming from down under lately, like my new intake!

Anyways, don't know much about them, but had to add my $.02!

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 08:51 AM   #5
HeadDoctor
Registered Member

Jester

Are these the Racing Head Service name??
If so they are the New Zealand stuff
When Pro-Topline bought them out they sent all the stuff to China and the quality disappeared. After that faild RHS bought the Pro-topline and kept it in China under that name for awhile and finally moved it back to New Zealand.

Today we must be very careful of what we buy because much of it comes from China or Tiwan.

You could also consider Brodix

Denny@JDS INduction Products
Old 11-08-2006, 07:59 AM   #6
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadDoctor
Jester

Are these the Racing Head Service name??
If so they are the New Zealand stuff
When Pro-Topline bought them out they sent all the stuff to China and the quality disappeared. After that faild RHS bought the Pro-topline and kept it in China under that name for awhile and finally moved it back to New Zealand.

Today we must be very careful of what we buy because much of it comes from China or Tiwan.

You could also consider Brodix

Denny@JDS INduction Products
Told ya, that I rarely think right! LOL Right church, wrong pew. I was thinking that exact thing, but somewhere between my brain and the keyboard, "New Zealand" turned into "Australian".

Didn't know they sold the rights to that stuff to China. How about the distributors and stuff they were building, all that stuff too or just the heads?

MICE need not apply.....

Old 11-08-2006, 03:45 PM   #7
82 GT
Import Slayer

I would stay away from that stuff. I've been lookin at the Edelbrock Vic. Jr's heads lately and from what I hear, they offer the most "bang for the buck" at about $400 less than most other aftermarket companys.
'82 GT 351W (.060)Comp Cams 274* Extreme Energy cam, ported & polished heads w/ 1.94/1.60 valves 10.3:1 flat top pistons,stealth intake, Mallory dizzy,Holley 750dp carb, BBK shorties,Flowmaster exhaust,C-4 with 3700 stall converter, B&M pro shifter,8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes, electric fan, powermaster alternator, 4 core radiator.
82 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 06:22 PM   #8
HeadDoctor
Registered Member

I am presently doing a set of RHS Iron Ford In-Line heads I'll let you know how thay turn out!!
As far as I know RHS bought the shootin-match

But I'm an AFR & Brodix dealer and have been since 1980

Don't you guys get tired of the "New-Stuff" that has yet to prove itself and just want to be the ginny-pig to have the first set?

Remember whan the TFS T-W head first hit the market and every body had to have a set - soon they found out what a big mistake that was when the guides gave up after about 200 miles. Of-Course they got it together after awhile but gee-wizz what a fiasco it was until that got straightened out!!!

Denny@JDS Induction Products
Old 11-08-2006, 06:52 PM   #9
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

82GT is lookin at RPM's, and talking to the 'higher up ranks" like Street Bandit and the like, they like them because they flow good outta the box, and I guess there's TONS of material in the casting, so they can get hogged out HUGE.

Now, that being said. I'm a big Canfield fan. Trying (without much luck, long story) to get 82GT a set of the same Canfield's that I'm running. This is a "young" casting, but it's already been tested by quite a few "real" racers out there, as well as a few street terrors such as myself. It's a great casting, performs very well out of the box, and a little bit of porting wakes them RIGHT UP. Not really on the market yet, but it is. Chapter 2 of that "long story". LOL

Have you dealt with any Canfield's Denny? The owner is a personal friend of mine, so I believe what he tells me. But I'd honestly like to hear an unbiased opinion if you have one!

MICE need not apply.....

Old 11-09-2006, 05:25 PM   #10
82 GT
Import Slayer

One additional note on Pro Comp.

They are the gloriously tacky company that copies just about every other USA made manufacturers parts. Not quality wise, but in exact looks. Pro Comp makes cheap Chinese made distributors and Multiple Spark ignition boxes. MSD was successful recently in getting a court order to make Pro Comp stop manufacturing their blatant rip off of the 6AL box. Pro Comp also makes an exact look alike knock off of Flex-A-Lite's 5.0 electric fan. They damage companies like MSD, Edelbrock, and Flex-A-Lite by selling an inferior product that looks identical to products of companies that actually invested research and development costs into a good product, not just in stolen sales but when Pro Comp products go bad, the consumer who doesn't notice the brand difference will think "all the red ignition boxes" are junk. Think I'm wrong? Ask Flex-A-Lite how many tech calls they get from customers complaining about their Flex-A-Lite 185 fans that are defective only to have to waste the Flex-A-Lite tech's time when the Flex-A-Lite tech realizes and then has to explain that what the customer bought was a Pro Comp ripoff.
'82 GT 351W (.060)Comp Cams 274* Extreme Energy cam, ported & polished heads w/ 1.94/1.60 valves 10.3:1 flat top pistons,stealth intake, Mallory dizzy,Holley 750dp carb, BBK shorties,Flowmaster exhaust,C-4 with 3700 stall converter, B&M pro shifter,8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes, electric fan, powermaster alternator, 4 core radiator.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:18 PM   #11
1979bruiser
Registered Member

wow lots of conflicting info here. i dont think that a new name brand can compete w/ a name that is already proven itself, but it has to start some where i guess. as far as i have read on the internet pro rop line is rhs now and procomp is made in austalia. 82 gt have you had experience w/ pro comp? or do you know of someone who has?
Old 11-09-2006, 07:35 PM   #12
HeadDoctor
Registered Member

Jester

About Canfield's - yes I have had some experience with them - have thay got their quality control up to par yet?

As far as the flow capabilities are concerned - Yes they are excellent - at least the ones that I worked on, which were very similar to the TFS St-Heat heads.

If they have the quality control fixed I would gladly put them on my list of heads that I sell.

Old 11-09-2006, 07:46 PM   #13
1979bruiser
Registered Member

what goes into quality control w/ a pair of heads. i can see assembled heads, but say you buy a set bare and buy the manley valves that you want and springs etc.you know you have good parts and dont have to worry about that and the heads have a good seal and your pushrods are correct so you dont wear out the guides what else is to worry about?worse case you have some castings that can aleays have new and good seats and guides installed that you picked up cheap that flow good and are aluminum right , or am i off ?
Old 11-09-2006, 07:49 PM   #14
82 GT
Import Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979bruiser
wow lots of conflicting info here. i dont think that a new name brand can compete w/ a name that is already proven itself, but it has to start some where i guess. as far as i have read on the internet pro rop line is rhs now and procomp is made in austalia. 82 gt have you had experience w/ pro comp? or do you know of someone who has?

Yeah, you're right. I think RHS has only recently bought them back.
I haven't had any experience with them but some people over on another forum have had nightmare results with them.
If it was MY hard earned money, I would buy something that has already proven itself. Right now, the best bang for the buck heads are the Edelbrocks. Their reputation precedes themselves.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:51 PM   #15
1979bruiser
Registered Member

can you point me in the direction of those forums so i can read up on them to see what kinda problems they have had?
thanks
Old 11-09-2006, 08:14 PM   #16
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Denny, Canfield has the quality control UP THERE! I've seen the shop, and without devulging info I'm not supposed to, they are actually "finishing" castings from other companies. BIG companies, some of which were already mentioned in this thread.

No coincidence that the TFS heads look similar to Canfield's. There's actually a law suit over that. I don't want to get into a bunch of "he said she said" BS here, but just to let you know that there ARE issues between those 2 companies. Nuff said on that.

I would LOVE to send you these Canfields I have so you can check them out. Top notch the whole way around. The ONLY bitch I have, is keeping exhaust gaskets on them, cuz the ports are so ******* huge, that there is literally almost NO gasket between the port and the header bolt hole.

On the rest of this thread, regarding Pro-Comp/RHS. Stay away from the China Jap crap. When they were "down under" I heard good things. ALOT of good things, and the Austrailian/New Zealand Ford boys are still making some good things down there!!! I did some research, and 82GT is absolutely 100% on the ball. When it went to China/Taiwan/Japan/Riceland, the quality went STRAIGHT down!

Think about it this way. In order for me to buy a set of Canfield heads, I have to spend 120 hours at work. My job's NOT easy. Those Pro-Comps? Have to spend 80 hours at work.

If I spend TWO WEEKS at work, for these heads, and they DON'T perform, and the company doesn't help me out, I'm gonna be PISSED!

USA ALL THE WAY! Stick with the proven companies, it's YOUR money, spend it ONCE, and spend it wisely!

MICE need not apply.....

Old 11-09-2006, 08:43 PM   #17
1979bruiser
Registered Member

excellent point.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:29 PM   #18
HeadDoctor
Registered Member

Bruiser:
Pro-Action/Pro-Topline had the same issues with quality control that Canfield has/had.

Pro-Action Casting's shifted so bad that water leaks were everwhere, I remember sending back 5 sets of the 23* heads just to get 1 good set. With the 14* heads we had similar difficulties, some of the heads didn't even have water passages in them at all. We had a set of Canfield 23* Chevy's on a boat engine, made it through the dyno pulls and were putting on the exhaust manifolds and we thought a bolt had stripped out. When we took the manifold off the exhaust port came with it. I had ported 2 sets of canfield Ford heads for seperate customers, and both sets leaked on the outside of the heads, below the exhaust ports but above the bolt holes.

Supposedly RHS has spent a considerable amount of money solving those problems, I haven't heard any more stories like the above about Canfield and I don't like telling these stories in public but, because, because, because

Jester - Thanks For the great vote of confidence in both Canfield and myself, Yes please stick to USA Only Parts. I'm glad that Canfield finally got it together!!!

Old 11-10-2006, 12:00 AM   #19
1989GT
Registered Member

You know I've read some bad things about pro-action/Pro-Topline...
Quote:
were putting on the exhaust manifolds and we thought a bolt had stripped out. When we took the manifold off the exhaust port came with it.
But that is amazing.

00GT, Vortech S-Trim, Steeda Boost Pipe, C&L intake, Mac off-road H-pipe, Flowmasters, B&M Ripper shifter, Eibach Sportline springs, Koni Struts/shocks, MM full length subframe connectors, Cobra brakes, 3.73's.
My Car Domain Page
1989GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 12:11 AM   #20
82 GT
Import Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979bruiser
can you point me in the direction of those forums so i can read up on them to see what kinda problems they have had?
thanks

[big sigh] I would have to dig through their achives on that.

Jester, I have heard about canfield doing casting for other companys. That tells you how hard I've been doing my homework on heads....